Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need Help!!!!

Old 12-18-2005, 08:31 PM

Default Need Help!!!!

Hey Guys I was looking at some bows today and came across the Buckmasters Btr32. It has a 32 inch axle to axle length. Is this good for a 5'10 inch 28 year old hunting deer using a release? Who makes this Bow? Does Fred Bear make this Bow? I also looked at the Pse Nova Extreme and I see that is 39 inches long, and I am confused why they make them different sizes. What is the majority of the length of all bows used for bowhunting? Thanks for all the responses.....Matt
Old 12-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need Help!!!!

Yes bear makes that bow.It would be a good bow.The nova is a great starter bow too,just a little slower.Whichever one feels better to you would be the one I get.They will both kill a deer.I would rather have a quiet bow over a fast bow.

Axle-to-Axle Length: How Short Should You Go
You've probably noticed that bows are becoming increasingly compact, with an average length just over 36". Some short axle designs are even pushing below 30". Often marketed as "more maneuverable", these stubby designs have become quite popular, particularly for treestand hunters. Short axle bows have a few distinct advantages beyond the obvious. Most of the short-axle bows are quite fast, shooting at least as quickly as their longer length counterparts. They also have noticeably less hand shock, since most short-axle bows use a high limb deflection angle, or pre-bend. And since their risers are generally smaller too, most shorty-bows are lighter as well. Most importantly, you'll find that short-axle bows often have fairly generous brace heights - allowing them to regain some of the forgiveness lost to the short-axle design. Many shooters report that short-axle bows shoot just as accurately as longer bows. Admittedly this might be a stretch, but it's a close race nonetheless. Properly tuned, short-axle bows can shoot quite well. However, most tournament archers, who need ultimate pin-point accuracy, stick with the longer - more stable designs. Before you choose a short-axle design, you might want to consider a few small drawbacks though. Short-axle bows are generally intended to be shot with a mechanical release. If you are a finger shooter, the acute finger-pinching string angle at full-draw will make holding back your shorty quite uncomfortable. Most finger shooters look for bows with at least a 38-40" axle-to-axle length to avoid this problem. You may find that not all accessories will work with the short-axle bows either, since the risers don't offer enough room for large sight-mounting plates and some quiver systems. You may also have to shop around for a peep-sight that can accommodate the acute string angle at full draw. Some standard peeps, particularly the tube-aligned type, get over-rotated on short-axle bows and must be modified or replaced in order to get a clear viewing angle through the hole.
Hope I helped.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:13 PM

so if you were going to buy one of these bows as a beginner bow, which one would you go with?
Old 12-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

Of those two?Well..like I said whichever one feels best to you.I would want the quietest of the two.Or either shop around a little more.You have plenty of time to get ready for next year.