Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question on Geographical Terms >

Question on Geographical Terms

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question on Geographical Terms

Old 12-17-2005, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question on Geographical Terms

I've only been hunting for a few years now, and only this past year or two have I really been going out into bigger tracts of land. As I've been doing this, there are more and more terms that come up that I'm confused on their meaning. Some I think I know what they mean, but I'm hoping you can defing them as well so I'm sure I know that they mean.
Here's some of them....if there are other that I forgot, please list them as well.

Hollow?
Draw?
Ridge?
Saddle?
Coulee? (sp?)
Bottom?
Sendaro? (not even sure if thats the correct word)?

Thats all I can think of even though I know there are more...please define any you can...and add more if you know them as well.

Thanks for your help!
Steven

Old 12-17-2005, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question on Geographical Terms

Hollow? Generally it is a bowl shaped depression with a ridge line around 3/4 or more of the perimeter. Often sparsly vegitated.

Draw? Picture a shallow valley (at an angle) running down a slope but much smaller than a valley.

Ridge? Ridge is a series of hill tops interconnected usually forming a line of high elevation.

Saddle? Saddle is a depression between two hill tops or high points, like a horse saddle.

Coulee? No clue

Bottom? Is an area of low elevation and usually is wet or damp - like a creek bottom or swamp area.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Different terms can have different meanings and interpretations in different areas. Here is what I consider them.

Sendaro is a term used in Texas. They are mowed paths through brush in Texas brush country(similar to a logging road).

Ridge are steep hills that can carry on for mileswith you being from PA I figured you would know ridges all to well

Hollow and a gully is a low spot in the landscape, it's the same thing as a valley. A gully is also usually a water run off for flood waters. I believe gully is what you meant with (coulee?)

Draw is used in reference to a shallow bottom that is notas deep as a ravienebottom.

Saddle is a terrain feature that connects two or more ridges together.
[/align]
Old 12-17-2005, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everything you ever wanted to know about map reading and geographic terms can be found in Army Field Manual 21-26.
Here is a pretty good website with all the information from that field manual.

http://www.cavalrypilot.com/fm21-26/toc.htm
Old 12-17-2005, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Coulee is a wood area surrounded by water or wet areas. Hazcon laid out the rest pretty good.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:24 AM

A Coulee is like a raveen. i know a lot of guys use this term out west. but basicly it is a raveen with brush and little cedar trees all over in it.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:44 AM

yeah MUZZY100 is right. And they are a great spot to find those big bucks.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks you guys....like I said, I has a general idea, but just wanted to make sure. The ones I really weren't sure of where the difference between and hollow and a draw. But now I think I know. Thanks again.

BTW..buckeye....I definitally knew what a ridge was....just felt like I should add more to the list for others who may be looking and unsure of it.
Steven