Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What cause's geographical size differences in deer? >

What cause's geographical size differences in deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What cause's geographical size differences in deer?

Old 12-04-2003, 09:40 AM

Default What cause's geographical size differences in deer?

I was in central PA this past week for the start of their Rifle season. Our group was lucky enough to get several bucks and a few does. But what struck me in the two days I was there was the significant size difference in their body size compared to those out here in Nebraska. The Nebraska deer are 9"-12" taller at the shoulder than similarly aged PA deer, and likely 40-60 lbs heavier, at least.

I know the predominant answer is going to be nutrition, that NE deer are corn fed, etc., but the PA deer we were shooting were farmland deer also, and had a mess of corn in their stomachs, have much more available water, white oaks, red oaks (Nebraska only has red), many more pine saplings (do they eat pine saplings?), etc.

Is it the winter forage? The nutrients in the soil, genetics, or what?

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:05 AM

Default RE: What cause's geographical size differences in deer?

I'm sure genetics have something to do with it. Years upon years of enduring long tough winters will ensure only the strongest animals survive. This is what Darwin was preaching. Unfit deer don't survive to reproduce
Old 12-04-2003, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nebraska has alot of farmland-corn-fed deer will always be bigger than mast-fed deer.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:55 AM

Athough there is debate on the issue, there is some evidence that the deer from the two areas you mention are a different sub-species. However, it is a fact that the further north you go, animal body sizes get larger (for heat conservation in the winter). But since Neb. and Pa. are about the same latitude, this doesn't apply. Winters in northern PA can be just as nasty as anything in Nebraska.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:02 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

I once read that the same species of animals tend to be larger the further from the equator you get. I believe this is referred to as Bergmans Rule. I don't know if Nebraska and Pa. are that much different in distance from the equator. The rule has to do with more mass to withstand the colder weather. Maybe in some points of equal distance from the equator, the animals tend to evolve a little bigger if that area has colder climates over an extended time period.
Just my 2 cents
Dan
Old 12-04-2003, 03:26 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

There are approximately 30 subspecies of whitetail deer in North America.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:09 PM

I once read that the same species of animals tend to be larger the further from the equator you get. I believe this is referred to as Bergmans Rule. I don't know if Nebraska and Pa. are that much different in distance from the equator. The rule has to do with more mass to withstand the colder weather.
Yeah, this is true, when you get way away from the equater those dang deer turn white and get all fluffy and grow big teeth and claws!
Old 12-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

although they may be amoung the same latitude.. the differences in vegetation, genes, habitat, geographical boundaries, mountains, and interaction with eachother could make their size vary greatly from place to place...
Old 12-04-2003, 06:05 PM

N American Whitetail SubSpecies

Quick Reply: What cause's geographical size differences in deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.