Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

keep passing?

Old 12-12-2005, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default keep passing?

I have passed up a young forkhorn about 6 times over the course of the season and it is getting harder to do. The season ends for me on Jan. 1st. I have seen a couple of good bucks but never had a shot opportunity. Normally I would not consider shooting a buck as young as this one I keep seeing but this is my first year with a bow and I have not yet killed a buck. I have had a pretty good year so far. With my bow I have taken a doe and a hog and with my muzzleloaderI got another hog. So the freezer doesn't really need the meat. At this point I guess it's ego. How bad do I want a buck? I'm inclined to keep letting him walk and see how he looks next year,but DANG it's getting hard. What do you think?
Old 12-12-2005, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: keep passing?

And a good inclination it is.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:49 PM

You will feel better about it if you shoot him next year when he is bigger. I wouldn't shoot him.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't believe you should kill a particular animal you wouldn't ordinarily to satisfy your ego.Knowing that you could have done so should satisfy that need.
You have taken other animals and you have plenty of meat.You have nothing to prove to anyone!
Old 12-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think you answered it yourself. I say......

Old 12-12-2005, 08:01 PM

IMO, it depends. How much pressure does your hunting area recieve?

I can't control what the people on the bordering properties do, so I'll be darned if I am going to let a legal buck walk so some guy neighboring me that doesn't give a hoot about QDM can shoot the thing. I see it like this...it's gonna be me or him, and it ain't gonna be him if I can help it.

Now, if your area recieves very little pressure, let him go. You'll enjoy watching him grow up and having a shot at him in 2 years as an 8 or 10 point biggun. The down side of that.......that strategy could bite you too. As buck age they grow more and more solitary. You may not ever see him again.

It's a gamble either way. Kinda darned if you do and darned if you don't. What it truely boils down to is you. Are you man enough to set your goals and stick with them, or are you going to wimp out and modify your goals to satisfy your urges?
Old 12-12-2005, 08:21 PM

Shoot him...........if YOU want to.

Doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:28 PM

Personally, I wouldn't shoot. I'm in a similar situation you are, this is my 2nd year bow hunting, though I've yet to shoot at a deer. I've seen a couple decent bucks on my trail camera as well as some little forks and 6's. I've already told myself that if I see the little ones come by that I'll watch them walk away, too. Atleast if you let him walk, you know there would be a chance for him to get bigger...if you shoot him, he'll be a fork forever...

Either way, its all up to what you want to do, who knows...maybe one of the good bucks you said about will give you a shot! Good Luck

Old 12-13-2005, 07:01 AM
Dominant Buck

IMO, it depends. How much pressure does your hunting area recieve?

I can't control what the people on the bordering properties do, so I'll be darned if I am going to let a legal buck walk so some guy neighboring me that doesn't give a hoot about QDM can shoot the thing. I see it like this...it's gonna be me or him, and it ain't gonna be him if I can help it.
What it truely boils down to is you. Are you man enough to set your goals and stick with them, or are you going to wimp out and modify your goals to satisfy your urges?
Not ragging on anyone....jsut seems funny that these two statements were made by the same poster.

I've had a half-rack (3 on one side) that I passed on this year....and a spike. I haven't harvested a deer this year, either.....but I still wouldn't shoot one of these evenif he broadsided me. What might seem like gratification....(taking a buck with the bow)....might also turn into remorse. No one canaddress thatdelimma except you.

For the record....I HONESTLY think that hunting is HIGHLY personal. The reasons YOU hunt are LIKELY different than the reasons I hunt. To "ME"......I have never feltmore at-one with God than when I'm in the field.DO I hunt tohave this feeling?......or do I have this feeling because I hunt? Who knows? It's personal...that's all I know. And this is coming from someone sho would NOT classify himself as ANY type of religious fanatic (to say the least.....lol).

You make your decision on this buck.....and feel good about it. THEN...you know you made the right decision.

Have a MErry Christmas.

Jeff

Old 12-13-2005, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

The place I hunt is 400 acres. Only 2 people hunt it, my brother in law and myself and we both have always had a standard of 8 or better with an occasional big 6. I know he would not shoot this buck. He has been bowhunting for years so he's not looking to fill his first archery buck tag.
The surrounding properties sometimes sound like a shooting gallery. I can't believe anything could still be alive on that side of the fence. If that little buck crosses the fence line he will be killed. That being said, I won't kill him this year. As much as I want a bow buck I will keep passing the little guy. I don't think I could change my ethics because I changed my weapon. I won't kill a dink with a gun so I won't kill a dink with a bow. I mentioned in my original post about killing him for ego, well, I think my ego would suffer by taking a deer that I would normally pass on. If my season ended today it would be a great success with my doe & hog by bow, and my hog by gun. Thanks for your input guys, sometimes the message right in front of me needs to be pointed out.

Quick Reply: keep passing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.