Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are you a meat hunter, or are you a trophy buck hunter? >

Are you a meat hunter, or are you a trophy buck hunter?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Trophy Buck
10.00%
Meat
26.36%
Both
59.09%
Neither
4.55%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Are you a meat hunter, or are you a trophy buck hunter?

Old 12-13-2005, 08:52 PM

Default RE: Are you a meat hunter, or are you a trophy buck hunter?

First I'm a trophy hunter but as the season winds down it becomes a qwest for meat... Gotta fill that freezer....
Old 12-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Neither. I go hunting just to get out in the woods. If I had to pick one though, I'd say I was a meat hunter, no matter whether that meat is deer or pig, or even rabbit.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Site Buck Guru

I am both a meat hunter and a trophy hunter. You get a lot more meat from 180 to 200 plus pound deer. My family mostly lives off of venison so our staples consist of over 100 lbs. of burger and different types of sausage. Big deer make great burger and sausage. Smaller deer make great steaks and chops. I've allways figured that the best eating deer was the 1 1/2 year old doe, as far as being tender, but where I hunt in S. Wisconsin and N. Ill., they all pretty much taste the same. By shooting both trophy bucks and does, its like having your cake and eating it too. There is really no reason not to do it this way especially with the abundance of antlerless tags today.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

It doesn't matter to me what motivates another hunter. I hunt for me and everyone else should do whats right for them. No need in judging or labeling someone for the choices they make. We are just hunters and lets just leave it at that.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I first started hunting I had the mind set of its brown its down. After I got my first recpectable buck, I started to let the younger ones walk for the most part. This has allowed me to spend more time in the woods, lets the bucks in my area grow a little,and I still manage to take 3-4 deer a year with my bow and shotgun.

But I don't like eating my tags at the end of the year so I often kill does when I start to run out of hunting time.

Not sure if that makes me a meat hunter or not.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

Usually anything goes.When the freezer is full I become more selective.Also depends where I am hunting.Most people would probably call me a meat hunter.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

I hunt for a mature buck (trophy to me), and for some meat (does). Of course a trophy where I hunt, might be a dink to some of you guys where the big ones live. I haven't killed a buck with my bow in 7yrs, since I haven't had an opportunity at one I wanted. Still, I don't think I would really qualify as a trophy hunter, since none of the deer in my area would be considered a trophy by most standards....unfortunately
Ditto!!
Old 12-17-2005, 08:52 AM

Anyone know a good recipe for antlers??

No matter how I cook them they always come out tough and gamey
Old 12-17-2005, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Theres usually about 200 lbs of meat under them antlers. Keep trying youll figure it out.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:08 PM

Theres usually about 200 lbs of meat under them antlers. Keep trying youll figure it out
I like that answer!

Quick Reply: Are you a meat hunter, or are you a trophy buck hunter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.