HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Are you a meat hunter, or are you a trophy buck hunter? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/124745-you-meat-hunter-you-trophy-buck-hunter.html)

mobow 12-12-2005 04:22 PM

Are you a meat hunter, or are you a trophy buck hunter?

This is always a hot subject around my neck of the woods. I understand of course that any deer taken with archery tackle is a trophy, but are you more interested in a trophy buck or do you hunt more for the meat?

Personally, I am not an accomplished enough bow hunter to let deer walk, so for me if a deer is in range and legal, there is a very sharp broadhead on it's way.

mez 12-12-2005 04:27 PM

RE: Are you a meat hunter, or are you a trophy buck hunter?

Not a trophy hunter, I just like to get a deer. I'll shoot whatever is within bow range that I have a legal tag for.

kevin1 12-12-2005 04:29 PM

I couldn't care less about trophies , frankly they give me the creeps , but show me a lovingly marinated backstrap just getting readyto go on the grill and ...

Rhody Hunter 12-12-2005 04:52 PM

give me a nice fat doe, doesn't matter to me

Justin 12-12-2005 04:55 PM

I won't shoot 1 1/2 year old bucks, but I don't think that necessarily qualifies me as a trophy hunter. Sure, I'd like to hold out for a nice buck but the feeling of getting a deer - any deer - on the ground is better than eating tag soup come January.

I try to take at least one doe every year for meat, then hold out for a decent 2 1/2 year old or better.

DJBAD 12-12-2005 04:56 PM

i am by no means a trophy hunter . i like to keep my freezer full of venison and like mod had stated i myself am not a great bowhunteri need the practice. but dont get me wrong i will NOT let a BIG RACK walk past w/o lettin an arrow fly

buckeye 12-12-2005 04:59 PM

I am not sure I would choose any of those options personaly.

I used to say that I would take any mature buck that presented a shot. That has changed over the pastcouple years. I find myself passing deer I would have never let pass even two years ago.

I enjoy filling my buck tag but if I don't I could really care less. I enjoy all my time in the woods andthe brightside of going buckless is....they alljust got one year older :D

I am a antler addict maybe..... "Trophy hunter"...... I just wouldn't call myself that.

MOTOWNHONKEY 12-12-2005 05:40 PM

I like hunting big bucks. I shoot a doe first off for my farmer then I wait for a buck that I will take to the taxidermist. After (and if )that happens I will take another doe for me.

WV Hunter 12-12-2005 05:48 PM

I hunt for a mature buck (trophy to me), and for some meat (does). Of course a trophy where I hunt, might be a dink to some of you guys where the big ones live. I haven't killed a buck with my bow in 7yrs, since I haven't had an opportunity at one I wanted. Still, I don't think I would really qualify as a trophy hunter, since none of the deer in my area would be considered a trophy by most standards....unfortunately:(

KickerPoint79 12-12-2005 05:51 PM

Both. Does for meat and trophy buck if I'm lucky.