Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Share your great venison recipes.... >

Share your great venison recipes....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Share your great venison recipes....

Old 10-11-2002, 07:24 PM

Default Share your great venison recipes....

I'm new hear and not sure this will get any response but here's one of my favorites...Venison stew in a slowcooker, this will produce some of the most tender meat you ever saw and you can't mess it up...

3lbs or so chunky cut venison, 2 bags of lipton "beefy onion" soup mix, @1/2 cup flour, 4 to 6 peeled potatoes (cut em up but leave em in large chunks), a few carrots sliced, 2 onions chopped, a little celery is nice if you have it. It really dosen't matter if you get the exact quantities, just get the onion soup and flour right and you can't mess up...

Put your meat in a large bowl and sprinkle in the flour with a little salt and pepper (add a little paprika if you have it), mix it up so the meat is covered pretty good. Now mix the other vegetables in with the meat. In your slow cooker, put 3 to 3 1/2 cups of water, pour in the soup mix and stir it in. Dump the bowl of goodies in the cooker, cover, and cook it for 8 to 12 hours while your at work one day. Serve over rice..What's your favorite...Fletch

Good Luck All....Fletch
Old 10-11-2002, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Share your great venison recipes....

My favorite backstrap recipe!

Cut your backstraps (butterfly cuts) in about 1/2" thick filets. Put filets in glass bowl and pour enough milk in to cover the filets. Place covered bowl in refrigerator for a minimum of six hours.
Beat 2 or 3 eggs (depending on how many filets) in a bowl. Remove filets from bowl and pat dry with paper towel. In a cast iron skillet , melt 2 sticks of butter (real butter , anything else is an insult to this recipe)
In another bowl (or bag) put italian seasoned bread crumbs. Take filets and dip them in the egg to coat both sides and then into the bread crumbs to coat both sides and then into the skillet.
Cooking time depends on how you like it , but I cook mine until it's golden brown on one side and then flip and repeat. Add salt and pepper after you've flipped the golden side up.

Enjoy

"Nocked,cocked & ready to rock"
Old 10-12-2002, 03:58 PM

Thanks BOWFAN, I never have tried it in bread crumbs but that sounds really good..I used to use plain flour but recently started using the premixed "chicken fried chicken" batter and it's really good..

Good Luck All....Fletch
Old 10-12-2002, 04:13 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Pullled this recipe off another site. As I type this I have a hindquarter roast on the grill right now. I salted and peppered it heavily before putting it on the upper rack, over the non burning side of the gass grill. HAve it on lowest setting, with a pan of water over the fire. Also have some mesquite chips in tin foil over the heat, and keep changing them out when they stop smoking. (keep them, because what you have left is mesquite charcoal). It's been cooking for 4 hours now. Probly take another 4-6 hours till it's done. about an hour before it's done, I'm gonna smother it in mayonaise, and cover it with raw bacon. Then cook till the bacon is done, and the mayonaise starts to firm up. Sounds good, and it smells great so far.

David.