Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Empty handed

Old 12-06-2005, 04:54 AM

Default Empty handed

Well, I'll start off by saying, I'm probably giving up on gun hunting. This is my third year hunting, second year with a bow. I'm sure some of you have read my history of hunting is some of my other posts, but for those that haven't, here it is. I started hunting 3 years ago with a rifle and only hunted for deer during the 2 week rifle season. First year was a bust, not only did I not get a deer the first year, but hardly saw anything either. Even though I ended the first year hunting empty handed, I still fell in love with being in the woods.

My second year, I decided to give bow hunting a try. I bought a used bow off ebay, got it tuned, set up, sighted in, and practiced my rear off for 3-4 months before bow season started. I sat in a stand every free second I had. I didn't harvest a deer with a bow that year, but I sure did see a lot and learned a lot. I was lucky enough to get my first deer last year with a rifle....on the very last day of the rifle season.

This year started off great. I bought a new Hoyt UltraMag at the begining of bow season. Got it sighted in and had it in the woods after a week of practice. Nine days after buying it, I shot my first deer with a bow. Not only a first deer, but a decent buck. Both stories are posted on here somewhere about my first deer and my first buck. I thought about just using my bow through gun season this year, but decided that I didn't have enough deer kills under my belt and was sure I'd get another tag filled and gain more experience if I went ahead and rifle hunted. Boy was I wrong. Didn't even take a shot at anything with my rifle.

I'm getting ready to go back out for some late season bow hunting in hopes to fill a couple more tags. Don't know if I'll be lucky enough or not. I just keep learning more about hunting every time I head to the woods. Moved one of my stands after rifle season ended on Sunday to a spot close to where I think they are bedding down, so I guess we'll see what happens.

Anyway, I guess you can say I'm not going to have a completely empty handed deer season, but gun season ended empty handed. I'm pretty sure that next year, I'll only bow hunt, at least on my property. I might take the rifle when I go down to visit my brother, but I might just stick to strickly bow hunting from here on out. There's just something about bow hunting that really is very addictive. I just realy enjoy the challenge of figuring out where the deer move and getting them to come in close enough for a shot with a bow. I not a real experienced hunter yet, but I feel like I've pretty much lost intrest in hunting deer with a rifle. It is just a totaly different feeling when you get one with a bow, I guess I'd say it's a lot more rewarding to harvest a deer (buck or doe) with a bow. I guess we'll see how these tips I've taken off here about late season hunting pays off.....I guess I lied earlier in this story, I did take one shot at a deer with rifle this season....but I missed on a really easy shot (doe fever).

I know this is a bit long winded, just thought I'd share some of experiences I've had this season and let you all know I'm probably giving up on gun hunting.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Empty handed

I'm with you spde911, I think you learn alot more when bow hunting and I just generally think its a better time in the woods when there isn't a bunch of other people out there. But in NJ you can't hunt with a bow during the gun seasons and I don't want to give up any hunting time.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

There's more to huntin' than the killin' part. Hopefully you'll find some patience and keep it up. Good luck and don't give up.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

i couldnt agree with you more about sticking to bow hunting. ive went out shotgun just two years out of the 6 ive been hunting and its just not the same. Not only do i not see quality bucks but there is just to many other hunters in the woods. Good luck