Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 finally got the big one.. >

finally got the big one..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

finally got the big one..

Old 12-05-2005, 02:49 PM

Default RE: finally got the big one..

LOL...that's pretty funny! Years ago, I would have been ready to fight IMMEDIATELY...though now that I'm older (38), I'm not sure I'd be willing to risk getting shot over a dear...5 kids will do that to you. lol
Old 12-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's to bad for sure. Hope that never happens to me because I hate jail.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

That really sucks, sorry to hear it. A buddy of mine had a similiar thing happen to him this year on a huge buck. He shot it with a gun, and it jumped the fence and ran about 50yds onto the neighbors property. These 3 rednecks came and told him he couldn't take it since it was now on thier property. He called the game warden...the warden came and ended up taking the deer. He said since there was no conculsive evidence that he shot the deer on his side of the fence, and since they admitted to not shooting it, the law said the state gets it. He said it was a 150 class buck, he is still fuming. And to top it off, the rack will be used on robo deer.

The thing that pisses me off about these types of situations is that the guys causing all the trouble are supposed to be "hunters". Personally, I would never take someone elses deerif it was shot legally, even if it ended up on my property. If I didn't kill it, I surely ain't gonna take credit for it.We can only hope it happens to those guys someday.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:37 PM

Sounds like a pretty tall tale............if it really did happen then you did "get the big one" alright[]

Biggest deer I ever killed ran onto private property and died........before my brother got to where I was I had 4 guys around me who were not very happy..........the key to diffusing the whole situation was I never gave them ANY indication that the deer wasn't going home with me These guys weren't out to take me deer........they were just implying I shot him on their property but it was still tense for a little while and voices were raised. 2 of the guys were particularly displeased because they pushed him right to me.

Cooler heads prevailed and they ended up even recommending a taxidermist...........which of course I did not use (could already see the "oops I lost your head" story coming.

A kid near me had his 8 pt stolen during archery last year.........he left it at the side of the road to go get his truck and it was gone when he got back. Dumb on his part but you still don't take another man's deer.

Long story short...........a deer is not worth it..........but having been in that situation myself I can honestly say worth it or not.......there was no way that deer I killed was going home in any other truck but mine.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:46 PM

Atlas why would he make this up?
Old 12-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

In MD I believe the law is the last one to shoot a deer while its alive is the lawful owner/harvester of the deer. However, anyone with morals and ethics would have, should have, realized it was yours. Thats a shame.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not sure what to call them except @#@$@% but definitely not
true hunters. They may have been within the law but a true hunter would
have seen you had obviously hit it first. I would have helped you load it
in your truck and congratulated you on your kill.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:08 PM

I would of been rolling in the ditch with this guy for sure.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:01 PM

Sounds Like it ran a LOOOOng way and was alive for quite a bit after you shot em. Could very well be your shot was NON fatal.

Maybe it WAS there deer
Old 12-05-2005, 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: trophyhuntr

Atlas why would he make this up?
Who knows???

Look at the story........just seems weird.

Saw his tracks in the pines just before dark......anyways I shot him and he ran........(no mention of placement, yardage, stalk, nothing).....where did this neighbor come from and this all happened in what time frame because it was just before dark at the shot............thought a car hitting a deer was a gun blast??.........why would the guy ask where his blood trail was if he was gonna take it anyways??

Never said the story wasn't true............but wouldn't surprise me.

I actually hope it isn't because if it is that would really suck.

Quick Reply: finally got the big one..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.