Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mannican

Old 11-30-2005, 04:31 AM

Default Mannican

I killed a nice 10 pointer this year. I wanted to mount it, but can not afford a 350 dollars for a mount. I was thinking about just buying a mannican for about thirty dollars and mounting the attlers, artifical eyes and ears and mounting that to the wall. Has any one done that? how did it look. I did not keep the cape, but will try to get one next year. I userlly kill dear every year, but none this nice. I am not a taxidemist, and don't know that much about it. Any help would be appreciated
Old 11-30-2005, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mannican

Sounds pretty silly to me but what do I know, try posting in the taxidermy forum.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:46 AM

Maybe try an "european" mount. You can bleach the skull yourself and I personally think they look as good if not better than full shoulder mounts. All a matter of taste I guess.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:58 AM

I agree with Soilarch that european mounts look good. Plus for the money you are going to spend on the mannequin, eyes, and ears you could get (or make your own)nice looking base for the european mount.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:21 AM

i don't think you would be happy with the looks of a mannikin with eyes and antlers. i think a better choice would be to do an anlter mount or european mount yourself. the other option would be to get the shoulder mount and just pay the taxidermist in small payments. most taxidemists will allow that. the mount could take as long as 9 monthes which would only be about $39 per month.....doesn't seem too bad if you think about it that way. not saving the cape won't be a problem....just tell the taxidermist the color, area killed, and approximate size and he can get you a replacement, however there will probably be an additional charge for the cape.