Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Snow Camo

Old 11-29-2005, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Snow Camo

So you own some stock in a UV killer do you?????
I have no idea what you are talking about. Nice try on the insinuation. Sad.[&o]

They're not as blind as people think and they don't have powers to see the color spectrum outside what we see.
Really? So deer do not have the ability to see UV? Maybe you're right, but I'd sure like to see some sound research on that. Most of the research that I have seen says the opposite (deer can see UV).
Old 11-29-2005, 10:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Here is a link that basically says, it may but probably is not a real concern. I can send you a link to a real scientific study that I can't even understand and I know it would put everyone to sleep. So, read this one. I get, "maybe... but doubtful". The world and the guy in his jeans and flo orange have been killing deer forever. UV hasn't scared them all away now has it. Realize this study was probably done for some clothing or sports wash company.[8D]
http://espn.go.com/outdoors/tips/s/c_fea_QDMA_what_deer_see.html
Old 11-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just read the article Dave, and I don't see at all (even one sentence) how it supportsyour quote.

They're not as blind as people think and they don't have powers to see the color spectrum outside what we see.

and

It's a scam/scare crap.
Actually I think if anything it supports the theory that deer can see UV.
What I was hoping to see from you was some research supporting your theory that deer cannot see UV, and that whole thing is a scam. If there is any publication out there which addresses this, I would really like to see. Because I never have.

Here is a study done on deer vision (It's really not that long) ( I would have given an excerpt, but I couldn't cut and paste):

http://www.ihea.com/documents/Hunter_Orange_Study.pdf#search='deer%20vision%20ul traviolet'

This is from the NYS DEC:
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/sportsed/safety.html

excerpt: In addition to having this kind of red-green color blindness, deer have different sensitivity to various wavelengths of light than humans. Deer see short wavelength colors such as blue (and even ultra-violet, which humans cannot even see) brighter than humans do, but deer are less sensitive to longer wavelengths such as orange and red, so these colors look darker to deer than they do to humans.

Article:

http://www.bowhunting.net/NAspecies/openwhitetail3.html

excerpt:
Scientists previously believed deer were color blind and saw everything in monochromatic shades of gray. Reasoning this is the reason hunters can wear bright, phosphorescent clothing without being noticed by deer. More recent research contends rather that they see in more of the ultraviolet light spectrum. Regardless, the deer's eyes are very sharp and quick to take in the slightest movement but will pass right over a stationary object. Many hunters, standing absolutely still, have had deer walk up to within a few feet and never see them.

Bill Jordan excert:

Though deer are not completely color blind, they are nearly so. However, it is still important to match the habitat in camouflage color and pattern. What the deer don't see in hue, they can see in tonal contrast. A bright green and an olive drab look as different to a deer as they do to you and me, just in a different way.
Reflectance is a big issue. The best camouflage is drab and dull in both color and finish. Different fabrics take dye differently and reflect light differently.
Deer are more sensitive to the ultra-violet spectrum than we are. Hunting clothes should be washed in a pure soap or a detergent that contains no brighteners. There are products called "UV killers" available that eliminate ultra-violet reflection.
When camo becomes faded, it loses its contrast and much of its camouflaging effectiveness. It also becomes lighter in color and reflects more light. Replace faded camo garments with new ones having a fresh, crisp pattern.

You know what this comes down to is that we have different opinions. I can live with that. But there is no need to try to totally discredit anothers opinion on an a subject that there may not be any undisputed proof.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

I am planning on buying the Natural Gear snow camo cover-ups. I think for the wooded areas I hunt, it will work out great. I haven't used snow camo yet so I won't have anything to compare to though.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks to all for the good articles.

Tom