Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

derr cam pic

Old 11-28-2005, 11:40 AM

Default derr cam pic

need a little help with this one. unfortunatly his antlers are up in the limbs making them hard to see. his body looks like a young deer, but the antlers seem to have good mass and width. thanks for any opinions on age, score, width.......

Old 11-28-2005, 11:57 AM

Default RE: derr cam pic

This is a big quess but it looks like a 1 1/2 year old deer with a nice rack which I say isbetween 90 -100 inches.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:02 PM

I think this buck is 3 1/2 years old. His brow tines seem exceptionally long, and hedoes have some good massat the base of his antlers. The spread also appears to be well past the ears. I would say mid 110 on the low end, but because those tines could be any height, I would say he could go as high as the 130's. (gross score)
Old 11-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hard to tell, but my guess is around a 110-120" score. 2 1/2 -3 1/2 year old buck
Old 11-28-2005, 12:08 PM

thanks for the replies so far....i hope to get many more opinions to try to help figure this guy out. also, maybe i can get a better picture of him, or better yet maybe a shot at him....then i can "ground check" him.

the thing that is throwing me off on this deer is the small body size. usually the deer in my area have a big body by the time the rack is this size. maybe he is just small, or maybe he is young with exceptional genetics.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:23 PM

I quess my 1st reply is way off considering the next 2 answers you received but I still say very young deer with good genetics. Look at his hind quarter, dosen't look to be well developed yet as you would see in a 3 or 4 year old. Even at the brisket he is very slender just like a younger deer. If you took these same pictures minus the rack the majority would say he is a 1 1/2 year old deer. I believe that his small body size is making his rack look much larger than it really is.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

2 and a 1/2 to 3 and a 1/2. If you could let him grow another year or two, he'd be awesome.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:56 PM

It is IMPOSSIBLE to age that deer from that pic.