Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

crossbow

Old 11-25-2005, 10:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default crossbow

I have to use a crossbow for deer this year due to a injury.Its a new horton team realtreeIve been hunting with it the last few weeks it kills em but its so loud and the guy at the archery shop say limbsavers wont do nothing any input? Im scared to shoot at a deer over 30 yards cause i bet they could duck it easy. soon as i can its me and the bowtech liberty again
Old 11-26-2005, 08:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: crossbow

If you place the limb savers as they were intended they won't do much , but if you place them on the back of the prod between the limb and the string they work much better for quieting string twang and limb slap. The string leeches don't work as well as the string bats IMO ,and are unneccesary once the limb savers are mounted anyway. Don't forget to use either Simsinsulating strips or a snugly fittedneoprene cover on the stock to deaden vibration , and don't overlook dampening the bolt retainer . You can't do much about the track noise , but a good even coat of string wax will tone it down a little .Check to ensure that all fasteners are snug , loose ones will buzz or rattle at the shot . I remove the quiver once on stand to eliminate a potential source of noise , I leave it on for still hunting but dampen it at the point of attachment with rubber washers .

You can dampen a crossbow quite a bit , but they will always be noisier than a bow , you just have to work with the tool you've got. That Horton you're shooting is more than fast enough , if you think they'll duck adjust your POI to where you think it will make the best hit either way , aim for the center of mass and "crowd" the shoulder to ensure a good lung hit.