Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
spotting scope or bino's what to buy? u tell me! >

spotting scope or bino's what to buy? u tell me!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

spotting scope or bino's what to buy? u tell me!

Old 10-09-2002, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default spotting scope or bino's what to buy? u tell me!

i have a few pairs of cheap bino's and want a real advantage, as bow hunters, some of these spotting scopes are unreal,,, some bino's like german made are like $300, get a scope for $50 what ??????? i dont know do you??????
Old 10-09-2002, 09:33 PM

Default RE: spotting scope or bino's what to buy? u tell me!

Man if you can find a pair of the German made binos for 300, you better jump on em...Seriously though, I used to go through binos like clockwork. They would look great in the store but either wouldn't hold up long are just plain stunk in the field. I saved, hid, stashed, begged, borrowed, held of on new "toys" for a year and ordered a pair of 8x40 Baush & Lomb Elites (don't tell my wife). There are several really great binos out there but I have had these for 7 seasons now and I have never regretted the purchace. I know they are expensive, but nothing has added more to the enjoyment of hunting like those binos, and thats the truth.

Good Luck All....Fletch
Old 10-09-2002, 10:28 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-10-2002, 06:54 AM

Even out west or at a distance if you can only buy one or the other I would recommend bino's. If you spend any amount of time using them, bino's are going to more comfortable. You will get eye strain and fatigue pretty rapidly using a scope for any extended length of time. Plus, I really like some of the bino holders available these days. They keep the bino's close to the body, but ready to use. No bouncing around or getting in the way while moving or shooting.

_-------------------------------------------_

"Vegetarian" - also translated as "Bad Hunter"!!
Old 10-10-2002, 02:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was faced with a similar dilemna recently and had to choose one or the other. I do have several inexpensive pairs of binoculars for hunting but I wanted a spotting scope for those situations when I was driving through areas or just going to be stationary and looking at one particular hill.

So, I ended up with these....

They are 10-30X60mm binoculars. Perfect for spotting and for general use where compactness is not a must. I chose the binoculars as opposed to a spotting scope because of the generally larger field of view...and yet these binoculars have a relatively small field of view when compared with others of the same magnification and objective diameter. Still, they offer a wider viewing area and also adjustable magnification which is great when you want to zoom in on something.

Image clarity is very good and they are very easy to use. They also come with a free tripod and tripod adaptor. You can even use them with a window mount. The real kicker though is the price. $39.97

Here is the link.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/

Click on Optics from the bottom of the column on the left and then just go through the list. They have a large variety so even if these don't fit your needs then one of the others might.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-10-2002, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have been using Pentax for a number of years, very good optics, clear and nice price. My 2 pair are 8x42 and 12x50 waterproof models, they have a lifetime warranty. I had my 12's go flying off my dash and did some damage, sent them back and they sent me a new pair in 3 weeks. I also have had a buddy send his back twice, b/c of dropping them out of stand and actually driving over them by accident....first time repaired and second replaced-NO CHARGE. So I really can't say enough about their customer service and they definitely could have not replaced the drove over pair, which would hardly be considered a workmanship or manufacturering flaw...but they did.

I don't think many people see Pentax as an option but I really find them hard to beat for the cash.

I have the tripod attachments as Rob for my 12x50's, they will attach to any standard camera tripod. You can also use them with a window attachment, like a spotting scope.

Edited by - skeeter 7mm on 10/10/2002 16:26:43
Old 10-10-2002, 06:32 PM

I got a pair of Steiner Predators 8x22 that I think are great. Lifetime warranty, waterproof..... about $150, a little expensive but I will never have to spend it on binos again.