Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Great spot...but can't beat the wind >

Great spot...but can't beat the wind

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Great spot...but can't beat the wind

Old 11-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Great spot...but can't beat the wind

I've got a great little spot to hunt....but it's tougher than hexx for me to beat the wind....especially when getting into the spot. If I beat the wind getting in.....I'm bumping deer. No-win.

I'm just gonna play for the wind AFTER I get in there, tomorrow. So....HOW AFFECTIVE is a deer's sniffer if there's 20-30 mph winds?? I'm wondering if the speed of the winds alter the deer's affective thermals?

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks.....Happy Thanksgiving....and good luck.

Jeff
Old 11-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Great spot...but can't beat the wind

Or....should I worry about bumping the deer.....if I do so from the correct wind side? If I come in from the downwind side....I'm gonna be coming through some dry leaves areas (right through the middle of the woods.....and NOISY). If I com in from the upwind side.....it's more stealth.......but our scent will be everywhere.

Now....we wash in no-scent...shower in no-scent.....spray down everything.....

What should we do????

Thoughts?

Jeff
Old 11-23-2005, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

Try some good "scent hygiene" and let her rip. Bath, deoderize, spray scent killer, wash clothes in baking soda, spray again, mouthwash with peroxide, spray again. I'd be willing to bet you won't hear a snort if you're meticulous in your preparation...
Old 11-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Also slow your pace way down when going to your stand. I can't even tell you how many times I have ran into a buck (afternoon hunt) by just walking real slow out to my stand. slow it way down and you won't heat up either.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

I've got a great little spot to hunt....but it's tougher than hexx for me to beat the wind....especially when getting into the spot. If I beat the wind getting in.....I'm bumping deer. No-win.

I'm just gonna play for the wind AFTER I get in there, tomorrow. So....HOW AFFECTIVE is a deer's sniffer if there's 20-30 mph winds?? I'm wondering if the speed of the winds alter the deer's affective thermals?

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks.....Happy Thanksgiving....and good luck.

Jeff
I have read that there a miracle breakthrough in garments, you can "forget the wind and just hunt" its called Scentloc and Scentblocker. I can't afford it so try this stuff and you should never get winded. Let me know how it works. If you don't hear a snort or see a flag all year, I will be the first in line at Cabelas next year to purchase a whole outfit.

Good luck to you. Find a way and get in there!
Old 11-23-2005, 04:46 PM
Spike

If I come in from the downwind side....I'm gonna be coming through some dry leaves areas (right through the middle of the woods.....and NOISY). If I com in from the upwind side.....it's more stealth.......but our scent will be everywhere.
If you have the option of coming in from downwind, I would definately use that approach, even in the dry crunchy leaves. Give yourself plenty of time to get to your stand so you can walk very slowly easing your feet down and stop often. If a deer doesn't hear the steady walking of a man they often won't spook.
Good luck and let us know how you do!
Old 11-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

Scent-Lok be damned.....no pair of camo pants should cost more than my suit pants................ridiculous.

Homemade scent killer. Try it, and try the routine I described above, then alter your cadence like someone else mentioned above, and I bet you can get into that stand without alerting every deer in the area.

Research results people have had with that homemade spray just on this board alone and you should see that it's worth a try.

Good luck.

Old 11-23-2005, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scent cover. It cost 5 bucks just get the stuff that says scent cover up dirt formula something like that, you will smell like dirt tho lol.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

Scent-lok is overrated. I have some and deer still smell me. It just depends on the deer and the situation.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

So....HOW AFFECTIVE is a deer's sniffer if there's 20-30 mph winds?? I'm wondering if the speed of the winds alter the deer's affective thermals?
High winds will scatter your scent quicker, making it harder for deer to smell you! I prefer to have a stiff breeze, compared to nearly no breeze, for this very reason, along with the noise and movement factor being less to worry about with a stiff breeze!