Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 has anyone had luck with spitfires >

has anyone had luck with spitfires

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

has anyone had luck with spitfires

Old 11-20-2005, 08:46 PM

Default has anyone had luck with spitfires

Has anyone had good luck with spitfire broadheads. I shot a nice 6 pointer with one at 13 yards. i was on the ground and hit him in the shoulder. his shoulder broke or atleast it sounded like it. The arrow went in about 6 inches he jumped and it fell right back out. we tracked him for about 200 yards and all blood stoped.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: has anyone had luck with spitfires

For me, they can make you or break you. I shot my first deer with one and it ran about 15 yards with a bloodtrail the size of a highway. Then i shot a hog with one and it went in about 6 inches with no blood. My advise to you is to stick with fixed blades. They are more forgiving on shots like those. Good luck!
Old 11-21-2005, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot a fox and a spike buck with them. Both went down fast, but I hit the buck in the top of one shoulder and the arrow centerd the far shoulder. Deer ran 50 yards, 0 blood trail, but I heard him crash. I found the arrow with the fully intact broadhead down the trail 30 yards. The lack of blood came from the high entrace would and no exit would. I can't complain with the results, but try to stay away from that bone.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:48 PM

I have had excellent performance with the spitfires. You need to make sure you have good KE and your bowmust be tuned. If you arrow is not flying true at impact this will hinder penetration, and that shoulder did not help you much either. There are many great heads out there but I would not give up on the spitfire just yet.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:06 PM

I have used them for the last 5-7 years and I have had great success with them. Thinking back, only one deer ran farther than 60 yards with them. These were all good shots and most only went 25-30 yards with a double lung shot.

The one that ran further was a liver shot and he went a little over 100 yards.

I recommend them to everyone. In your specific shot, if you hit the shoulder, particularly blade, I don't think it will matter what was on the tip of your arrow.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

how much KE to you guys think is good enough for enough pennetration for both lungs?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

I've shot them for 5-6 yrs and love them! I've blown through the shoulder 3-4 times and never had problems. 2 yrs ago punched completelythrough a 235 lb field dressed brute. I've killed deer from 8 feet to 45 yards with them, also coyotes and a turkey. In my opinion the two blades are the best but are hard to come by
Old 11-21-2005, 07:27 PM

I have also had good luck with them, three deer so far this year. Farthest one went 40 yards, 12 point buck, but all had blood trails a half blind man could follow. No hands and knees. But its all about shot placement for blood. Hit them where it counts with any head and the wont go far. Just like my gun experiences, many told me i wouldnt kill a deer with a .410 well 6 fell in two years, all in there tracks. Hit them where it counts.Behind the Shoulder. Ps i shot a mathews lx 27 draw 74 pounds 2219 arrows, nothing stops those arrows accept a Ford HEHE
Old 11-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

well i've had good and bad luck with the spitfires. the good thing is that if you get good penatration and a clean pass thru there fine, nice exit wound and good blood trail. but the bad thing is if you hit bone your done they lose penetration and wont bust threw, thats whyI switched to a fixed blade, but you get the same with them also i guess the main thing is you got to get or have a good shot. they do fly true but thats just a way of getting out of fine tuning your bow. wish ya luck
Old 11-22-2005, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also had good luck w/ Spitfires. Stay away from those shoulders w/ mech. heads!!

Quick Reply: has anyone had luck with spitfires

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.