Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do trail cams spook deer? >

Do trail cams spook deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do trail cams spook deer?

Old 11-20-2005, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default Do trail cams spook deer?

I put out my new trail cam, and got a nice 8pt and 2 does. Does anyone have any experience if the flash will spook the deer enough to cause them to leave the area? I've been blasted with the flash and man is that bright. I took the cam out after one day because I'm hunting the area. What do you do?
Old 11-20-2005, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do trail cams spook deer?

Most of these guys believe that a camera don't spook deer. Look's kind like lightning when it goes off.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have hundreds of pictures of does, fawns and the same bucks week after week, even some pretty big bucks. If it really spooked them that bad I would probably never get the same bucks at the same location but like I said, I get the same deer sometimes 3 to 10 days in a row at the same location. So, my guess is it doesnt spook them bad enough to leave an area, where I hunt anyways.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

My research says that flash does not spook mostdeer,even larger bucks. But film advance if its a 35mm will spook some deer. Is it a digital cam?
Old 11-20-2005, 12:03 PM

I've got my camera set to go off every minute it it detects motion. I've got the same deer, the same night, with pictures within minutes of each other. I would have to say, no, it doesn't scare these deer.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:47 PM

Ditto. I even have multiple pictures of bucks walking closer and closer to the camera each time the flash goes off. Many deer walk by the camera triggering multiple pictures without seeming to ever even pay much attention or break stride. (one of my cameras has no delay at all.)
Old 11-20-2005, 03:02 PM

I'v sat in the stand while the camera goes off and watched them,sometimes they spook and others times they dont.
They know it's there.they just dont know what to make of it.

Trembow
what camerra dosent have a delay???
Old 11-20-2005, 06:29 PM

Trembow
what camerra dosent have a delay???
The one I built from a Mainstays light kit sensor and a Canon Owl PF Date. Using the power output wires without a latch causes the circuit to be made and broken whenever movement occurs. Sometimes it's so quick that if movement is too quick and short, the camera won't go off at all.

I got the plans from Jesse's Hunting Pages, if you want to build one. It's not really cost effective anymore as you can get similar quality 35mm cameras like the MC2g for less than 60 bucks. But if you're looking for a project and have a bit of electronic savvy it can be fun.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the past I've always said it doesn't........and I still after this year say it does not scare the deer. I had one of my cameras about 60 yard from one of my stands. Twice this years I was in my stand and saw the camera flash several times and the deer never left......their heads came up.....and one investigated the camera(sniffed it) I still don't think it scares them. On the other hand I will gaurranty it will "SCARE THE CRAP OUT A HUNTER."

Been there...GoodLuck!
Old 11-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the feedback, it helps. I bought a digital Moultree from Wally World for $98. It sure works good for me so far. To see that nice buck right were I was standing 1/2 hour before gives me the confidence the deer are there. Now if I can just get him to come out during the day...

Quick Reply: Do trail cams spook deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.