Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 T.V Hunting turning me into Activest >

T.V Hunting turning me into Activest

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

T.V Hunting turning me into Activest

Old 11-19-2005, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: T.V Hunting turning me into Activest

Sorry if I came off harsh or offensive, I appologize if I offended Hoytvtec and anyone else. I honestly do understand not liking this type of hunting as I myself dont approve of it like I said in my above post. But I just turn the channel if I dont like something.

Was that nicer?? lol
Old 11-19-2005, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a corn feeder that I hunt over at my house. Deer also come in contact with people quite often as my land and the surrounding lands are pretty much developed.

Am I unethical?
Old 11-19-2005, 04:56 PM

I've never watched the "hunting shows". Never understood the appeal. For tactics/techniques, I prefer to talk to older/more experienced hunters from my part of the country, and to experiment on my own. The only thing I've ever watched was a video by Tree Lounge, and it was a long time ago. The only thing I remember was that there was a woman who "squealed" every time she made a kill...I kinda wanted to punch her by the end of the tape.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hear ya every time these great white hunters make a bow kill they first give their disrespectful sinckers and fist pumps about falling out of the stand. Then they preceed to about pass out from all of theadrenalin built up from that canned hunt. Some of their facial expressions make you think some kind a alien is crawling out of their arse to get a breath of fresh air.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is FUNNY MOTOWN.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:53 PM

Maybe they're just not shown in my area or maybe I just don't pay close enough attention, but I've never seen a fence in any of the shows on ESPN or The Outdoor Channel.

I've also met several guys who film their hunts for shows who go hunting on the same pieces the "rest" of us do. Granted it was in Illinois and not Massachusetts, but filiming a hunt in Massachusetts could take you a month and a half and you might still come up with nothing. (Well not ME, but maybe YOU )

My biggest peeve about "hunting" shows is the blatantly fake "tracking". Just yesterday I saw one where the guy clearly spined the deer as it went down like a ton of bricks in the middle of a field with the arrow sticking straight out up in the air. Cut to the scene when he says "I've got a deer down out here somewhere....let's go find him." What? Does this guy have amnesia and forget the thing is laid out in the open with his fletching standing up in the air like an ice-fishing tip-up flag gone off?

When he gets there, saying "there his is, over there...", the arrow is nowhere to be seen. I always knew these stupid scenes were faked, but COME-ON!

Old 11-20-2005, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wish they would ashow close up of the impact shot location because
they say they made a great shot when it doesn't look that way to me.the
recovery camera shots look like they are all staged.You would think they would do a better job acting and filming.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Froman, you're not unethical, your hunting method is differant than mine, BUT that doesn't make you unethical.
I guess I've never seen the shows you guys talk about, with high fences in the scene. I don't catch a lot of the shows, but I do watch them from time to time. And as far as the tracking and recovering being staged, think about it guys, the show is 30 minutes long, would you like to watch a 30 minute tracking show, and even then,end the show with, "to be continued next week, as we still haven't found him"! They have to make the show "a hunt start to finish" and fit it in a 30 minute time frame. SO, to do that they have to condence reality! Does it show them sitting for possibly days, NO, does it show them tracking for hours, NO, because they can't!!
One of my pet peeves, how ever, is when they say that they ran out of shooting light, or they shoot one when the camera can't hardly see. Well, the fact is,the camera equipment that they use can see BETTER then the human eye. SO, if they take a shot and it looks so dark that the viewer can't hardly see the animal, THEN it was way past shooting light anyways!! I've got a high dollar camera, and it can gather light and "see" well before(in the morning)and after(in the evening)I can "see" well enough to shoot at any thing, legally!!
Old 11-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think some of the shows may be exactly that, shows. They have to get everything into a 30 minute or 1 hour show including commercial time. I know Bob Foulkrod does the real thing. My neighbor, taxidermist and personal friend http://grizzlyhunter.com/has guided for him in Alaska and other places. Sometimes they have trophy animals close enough to shoot but cant get good video angles or shots on the animal so they sometimes have to pass on world class trophies in order to bring us the viewergood footage. Once the animals are shot, then they sometimes re-create some of the pre shot footage to make it more viewable. As far as shooting animals in fenced areas well I think thats BS but like I said, its a business that some people feel its worth spending money on I guess.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

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
I WAS VERY INTERESTED IN THE DREAM SEASON SHOW AND APPLYING BUT I DID NOT WANT TO LOOSE CONTROL OF MY FOOTAGE TO ENTER. AS BEST I COULD FIGURE FROM THE APPLICATION AND MAYBE I INTERPETED THE LEGAL JARGON WRONG BUT I THINK THEY COULD USE FOOTAGE THEY RECEIVED FROM APPLICATIONS AND MAKE IT LOOK LIKE SOMEONE ELSE SHOT THE DEER. IF I LOOSE CONTROL OF MY FOOTAGE I WANT TO AT LEAST GET FULL CREDIT FOR IT. I DECIDED NOT TO APPLY.
BOTTOM LINE IS IT IS TV. THEY HAVE TO FILL 30 MINUTES AND SOME DO A MUCH BETTER JOB THAN OTHERS.THE ONES THAT ARE BAD I DO NOT WASTE MY TIME WATCHING. I LIKE TO KEEP TRACK OF THE NUMBER OF ARROWS IN THEIR QUIVER.........DOES NOT ALWAYS MATCH WITH WHAT YOU SEE GOING ON AND CONVERTS BACK SOMETIMES.
I REALLY HATE TO SEE THEM TAKE POOR ANGLE SHOTS. I SHUTTER TO THINK HOW MANY HAVE NEVER BEEN FOUND. AND NEVER SHOW UP ON THE SHOWS.
ENOUGH RAMBLING JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH- PAT

Quick Reply: T.V Hunting turning me into Activest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.