Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 T.V Hunting turning me into Activest >

T.V Hunting turning me into Activest

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

T.V Hunting turning me into Activest

Old 11-23-2005, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: T.V Hunting turning me into Activest

It truely is amazing to me how people jump to these completely baseless accusations and start throwing around terms like "high fence", "baiting", and "unethical" like they have some sort of first hand knowledge that the rest of us aren't privvy to.

There are a lot of shows out there with a lot of people who have worked awfully hard to get where they're at. Just because a guy busts his butt to hunt hard, manage some land, and created enough notoriety and connections within the hunting industry to warrant having their own show doesn't by any means make them undeserving, unethical, or just flat out a bad hunter. So to just label every hunting show as "bad" is completely ridiculous.

Sure there's bits and pieces of some shows that might be taken in question from time to time but keep in mind that they can't possibly give you the entire story in one 30 minute show so you get the "highlights" so to speak.

Also let's keep in mind that there are different tactics of hunting in different parts of the country depending on what species you're going after. So while you might see something on TV that you do not personally agree with - i.e. baiting, "hopping out of a truck to shoot a muley", hunting with dogs, etc - these are perfectly legal and acceptable forms of hunting. Let's stop judging people by the way they hunt, where they hunt, or how many animals they kill and start worrying about being glad they're out there keeping these traditions alive while supporting our cause and managing animal populations.

And if you're too shallow or narrow minded to do that - turn the channel. I heard Desperate Housewives and Gilmoure Girls are pretty good this year
Now....Talk about jumping to conclusions....

I don't think ANYBODY said that ALL of these shows were unethical or false advertising. I believe in a LOT of them. However....some of them ARE a joke. I've actually heard them reference the "high fence" and "low fence" areas. If that floats your boat.....have at it!

Is wrestling real, too???? Man...I feel SO stupid.

Jeff
Old 11-23-2005, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to say that I honestly believe the Drury's film nothing but fair chase. They hunt the best areas: outfitters, private land, etc.(including there own farms) because people want them there. They are the hottest commodity in the video business period. They may hunt over food plots, but lets face it, if any of us owned a 1000 acre farm in Ill. or Iowa, and had the chance to develope a good buck to doe ratio in hopes of creating trophies we would all be out there with our plows and spreaders. I know I would. By the way I know a few people who have been on filmed hunts, and in a previous post it was mentioned about recreating the shot sequence. This is true, they do the draw, aim over again for better viewing pleasure. By the way my friends and I got three bow kills on film this year, all fair chase, all in the middle of the woods. Very challenging, twice the scent, twice the movement, twice the chance fornoise. It is fun to film, almost as fun as being the shooter.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:04 PM

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it was Rusty Faulk Outdoors last week:

They were handgunning in Wisconsin, and the hunter passed a few nice bucks that were close because of "unethical" shots... i.e. through brush, head on shot, ect.....

It was the last day of the hunt and he took head on shot that he said was not a good shot to take earlier in the show. You could see it take out the right front shoulder. They did say that they let the deer go for a few hours before tracking him, and they did find the deer so that is a positive. My 9 year old son asked me why they would say not totake that shot and on the last day of the huntthey tookthat shot. I could not explain......

I have made a few stupid shots in my day, but I would like to think I am over that hump. I know I do not like wounding any animal and not retrievingit.