Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Funny Walmart story >

Funny Walmart story

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Funny Walmart story

Old 11-15-2005, 12:34 PM

Default RE: Funny Walmart story

For what's its worth, I'm going to side with Campo on this one. I am in a professional design profession, white collar, and I have let my opinions and true feelings fly too often. You know what it has benefitted me? Exclusion from many meetings and decision making opportunities, and lost promotions and raises. Instead of 4-5% raises, I was getting 2-3% raises, because of how I dealt with fellow employees. I wish I had been wiser before I had lost out on a combined $10,000/per year worth of raises over the last 7 years.

In life it is better to be the bigger person, nod, and go on with your business. The more people we purposefully insult and degrade, the fewer opportunities we will have to effect change. That is what Campo is saying. We need to play the high road and thus be in a better position to influence people's opinions of us as a hunting community.

Just my $.02. (I did smile, though.)

-Brad
Old 11-15-2005, 12:47 PM

Here's my two cents on the issue:

Personally, I'm finding it hard to see what was rude and disrespectful in the situation. The older lady said she felt the ducks were beautiful, d-h18 then said he would bring them by so she could see them up close.

For me, I thought it was more of a joking situation with the lady...and that's probably how it was meant...I know that's probably how I would have dealt with it, too.

Once again, just my two cents on the issue...I kinda think its funny that's its got as much debate as it has, though
Old 11-15-2005, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, I'm not slamming d-h18. He may very well have meant it as a good-natured jest. Even so it's a good opportunity wasted. The lady was making an effort to reach out, maybe even to understand. (or she could have been a opinionated busy-body, hard to tell without body language and tone) but it still was an opportunity to make a good impression.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:03 PM

haha, i hate when people try to rip on us hunters. its an american/canadian/whereever you are from where you can hunt, tradition.

PETA=People Eating Tasty Animals
Old 11-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

i've learned that it's best to keep your cool with antihunters. but there are some cases when the person has no backing to there views and they themselves get angry. i had a girl today saying how she didn't like hunting or killing animals and that i kill bambi. she had been going for a while so i looked at her and said smugly " how can you say that??? i've never shot a vcr, dvd, or tv in my life so how exactly could i have shot bambi???"
Old 11-15-2005, 04:40 PM

I kind of have to go with Hunter06 on this one. There is a girl in my chemistry class who found out that I'm a bowhunter and she asked me how I could go kill a "bambi." Honestly, I tried explaining this to her. I went over every point imaginable, but she just shrugged it off and said it'd be horrible if I killed "bami's mom." When they won't listen to you, and they have no clue what they're talking about, I'll joke with them. I just told her I was going to be hunting for does this year, and then I started reading a hunting magazine. Hey, I'll try and reason with them, but if they're not going to listen, then I don't really care either way.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Talondale

I agree with Campo.
Same here.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:26 PM

Following the pattern of religious beliefs and personal opinions, trying to convince anti-hunters of the positive aspect of hunting is almost pointless. It really boils down to two different 'groups' if ya will. There are some people who simple refuse to acknowledge any other viewpoint except of their own which is simply "Hunting is evil, only for the slaughtering of cute furry animals" The other group of people I've generally encountered is a little more accepting of reasoning and simply hasn't ever gave hunting a try.

What gets to me in some regards is the way people always say "Well all anti-hunters have a flawed perspective and are clearly idiots." While obviously I don't agree with that, I don't see why their argument should be any less valid then perhaps a legitimate reason for hunting. Don't get me wrong, believing in something is an entirely different thing then forcing your beliefs on someone. But if someone simply says "Well I don't agree with hunting, but to each and his own, so be it" that's fine, what's to get upset about that.

Personally I've gave up reasoning with most people about hunting, even if you make perfectly logic arguments and facts, it will NOT change their ideas. I mean come on now, if someone came up to you and said "The war was a bad idea" I mean, odds are you're not goin' to change your stance based on some strangers opinion. So yeah...
Old 11-15-2005, 05:35 PM

Wow. This could be argues even more than the ScentLok yes or no posts......

IMO, a hard core PETA person isn't going to be swayed........ever. They aren't really ever going to be of any help to us. It is the non-hunter, not the ANTI hunter we are making our appeal to.

Now, probably you were just being sarcastic, silly, and just plain goofy, which I suspect anyone that knows you is accustomed to. It's your personality. Hey, I am one of the goofiest people I know. But here's the thing. The other people that are around you when you talk about these things doesn't know that. They percieve you as being disrespectful and arrogant. Truely that gal is entitled to her opinion, as are we. She wasn't disrespectful to you, as best I can tell without having been there. But you certainly were to her, as I see it.

Folks, we have to be a team here. Our sport is dying, and we are the only ones that can stop it. The things we say and do not only affect ourselves, but it affects every hunter that person comes in contact with. I view all hunters as family, so to say, (with some exceptions, of course) and I don't want my actions to have a negative impact on your future endeavors.

I am proud to be a hunter, and EVERYONE I know knows it. I talk it, live it, eat it, breathe it, sleep it. Even when there is no season open, I am educating myself. Now, you may say I am a fanatic, and I agree. But I assure you........The Non-Hunters I come in contact with and know will have no negative feelings toward other hunters because of me. In fact, one gal I work with is a Non-Hunter. But you know what...I must be doing something right because she gave me permission to hunt her farm.

I believe that every person has the right to decide what they agree with and don't, and as long as you don't try to tell me I am wrong for doing what I do, I won't tell you that you are wrong either. Just be respectful, it speaks volumes about you as a person.

(BTW, I really did think the story was quite funny though....just put the bead on the beak, and pull the trigger......LOL>.....that was funny....)
Old 11-15-2005, 06:03 PM

im kinda glad you said something she voiced her oppinion you voiced yours.

there is no way a person would change me for hunting if it got to the point i would say you stick to your vegies ill stay with my meat.

i think it just gets so annoying to hear them wine about it i usaully just get up and walk away.

Quick Reply: Funny Walmart story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.