HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ever cry in the woods?
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Mikey S.
Typical Buck

Default Ever cry in the woods?

I tell ya, when that last few minutes of PA's season dwindled into darkness tonite, I just couldn't take it. I really couldn't stand the fact that that it's over, and I won't be able to do this again till next year.
My landowner and his wife invited me to gun bash this afternoon, and I declined; I just had to hunt. And it was a weird hunt. I only hada doe tag to use, but for some reason I just had to go hunt that Poplar tree that I took that nice 9 point of last friday. It was my first nice buck, ever, and I just had to go sit in that tree one more time. I sat there for 3 hours and replayed that moment in my mind when I first saw him, when I shot, when I shot again, and when he fell. And when darkness settled in, and I knew my season was over, my eyes watered. It finally struck me that I finally killed a potential P&Y book buck, and I didn't want to climb down. After several minutes of overcoming this "sensitive moment", I descended with my viper attached to my feet, somewhat depressed that I won't get to sit on that stand again for a long time. When I hit the ground, I packed her up for the last time this year, picked up my Xtec out of the leaves, gave my favorite tree a hug, and strolled slowly and reluctantly into the moonlight.
When I got back tothe truck, I realized that my landowner wasen't home, and being that I ordered a new Hoyt Trikon, and he already inquired about buying my Xtec from me...........I set the bow on the porch, with a note attached: "It's all yours". I figured if he can let me have all of his 120 acres of woods to myself to hunt, and I killed a P & Y buck in his backyard, I can give up a 2 year old bow to a guy just getting started.

Sigh.....10 1/2 months to go...

Mikey