Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
OLD WIVES TALES...Let's Here 'em! >

OLD WIVES TALES...Let's Here 'em!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OLD WIVES TALES...Let's Here 'em!

Old 10-08-2002, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default OLD WIVES TALES...Let's Here 'em!

Ok, as we speak, in this bowhunting forum there is a hunter dropping a fistful of acorns one at a time to lure deer to his stand as if ringing a "dinner bell" of sorts and another who heard from an "old timer" that depending on the phases of the moon most of the blood in a deer could either be concentrated in it's feet or in it's head. And just the other day I had a "hunter" telling me that he had a big buck blow at him that morning while in his tree stand. I asked him how big the buck was and he said he never saw it but was sure it was a buck because "does don't blow"...hmmmmm...just when I thought I'd heard it all...

Since many beginners, and veterans for that matter, come to this forum to gain knowledge, I say we get all of the wives tales out in the open so we can attempt to separate fact from fiction. Who knows, maybe something I think is b.s. may actually be so.

Let's here 'em!!!!
Old 10-08-2002, 02:41 PM

Default RE: OLD WIVES TALES...Let's Here 'em!

I used to believe, after being told by my Dad and his Uncle, that deer bed down when it rains. After coming to this board I have learned differently.

However, I still swore on that COLD, COLD rainy day in Sicily, as my teeth chattered uncontrollably and my hands were too numb to hold a pencil, that I would never stand out in the rain again. Maybe I'll rethink that, maybe not.

-Brad
Eastern Nebraska Bowhunter
Old 10-08-2002, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am sure I have heard them but I let them go in one ear and out the other.

Protect your hunting rights, "Spay or neuter a liberal."
Old 10-08-2002, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Why ain't I seein' any deer?"
"'Cause they done went nocturnal!"

FOOLPROOF?
Never underestimate the power of a fool!
Old 10-08-2002, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer pellets that are clumped together means its a buck. (False)

Deer pellets that are not clumped together means it is a doe. (False)

It all depends on the deers diet. I've seen both of them crap in the pasture along the woodline behind my house and went out to investigate. The doe had a bad case of the clumpies that day and the next day a 6 pt. that I had been watching let out a bunch of loose pellets. In other words, don't look at deer crap if you are trying to determine the sex of the deer. Ain't gonna happen.

****I'd rather be a fence post in Texas than a corn boy in Ohio****
Old 10-08-2002, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Deer don't go Nocturnal...umm?

Big bucks will only inhabit large tracks of bush. They won't crawl or burrow to remain concealed. Very false, I have seen mule deer sit in burrows next to a low fence and just sit their, with no cover within miles.

Hunting the wind doesn't matter that much, if your in the right spot they'll come regardless. "Forget the wind.......Just hunt"....scentlokt suits ad.

Can tell how much snow we're going to have by how high the muskrat huts are on the ice.

Edited by - skeeter 7mm on 10/08/2002 17:00:49
Old 10-08-2002, 04:02 PM

Alright, I was the guy who posted the "blood in the feet" topic but it was just for discussion and sometimes those old timers are worth listening too. I did however see where one of the replies, cyclones, said that the amount of blood on the trail has more to do with whether the deer was inhaling or exhailing at the time of the shot...Hmmm...What about that one guys...Good luck all...Fletch

KEEP THE WIND IN YOUR FACE.... FLETCH
Old 10-08-2002, 04:58 PM

yeah i like when they people are like yeah i had a big buck by m the other day, "how many points was he" oh i didnt see him but he sounded big lol

"She said if I hit that fishin hole today, she's be packin all her things and she'd, be gone by noon....I'm gonna miss her, when I get home."
Old 10-08-2002, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Dont look a deer in the eyes , you'll spook em"

The deer in my neck of the woods must not have heard that one , I cant count how many stare downs I've had with deer that ended at the gut pile.

"Nocked,cocked & ready to rock"
Old 10-08-2002, 05:20 PM

BOWFANATIC, I've had several encounters at really close range that ended poorly when I made direct eye contact. I still believe they can sense the predator eyes...Fletch

Good Luck All....Fletch

Quick Reply: OLD WIVES TALES...Let's Here 'em!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.