Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What did you learn this past season? >

What did you learn this past season?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What did you learn this past season?

Old 01-14-2002, 09:23 AM

Default RE: What did you learn this past season?

Wow - I have learned a lot just by reading what everybody else has learned. Let's see:
1. Deer can move as slow or as fast as anything in the woods.
2. Expect the unexpected - it never happened like I thought it would.
3. Scent lock clothing is NOT a must - I had a deer 10 yds. downwind from me and he never busted me. I only had scent free spray on.
4. There are more products that will assure you a deer than there are deer. LOL
5. I need to work on my patience. I get extremely fidgety after a couple hours and not seeing any deer.
6. I need to do much more off season scouting.
7. Late season hunting gets extremely tough.
8. The rut is a glorious time.
9. Any deer with a bow is a trophy.
10. Hunters who don't bowhunt have no idea how hard it is.

Thanks for all the great posts and keep it up. This board is one of the best things I have found.
Old 01-14-2002, 09:33 AM

I learned:

1. lighting can strike at any time.
2. to save myself and my vacation for the rut.
3. a single deer walking with purpose is almost always a buck - drew before I saw him, he stepped out of the hemlocks five yards away and I was ready.
4. reading a book on stand keeps me there.
5. during the rut, bucks are more active in the morning than afternoon.
6. to hunt buck areas instead of buck spots.
7. what if feels like to do everything perfect on a trophy buck!

Hunting is a right, treat it like a priviledge - respect nature
Old 01-14-2002, 11:11 AM

I've learned:1. To be more patient and wait for the perfect shot. 2. To grab for your bow and be ready as soon as your hear steps. Don't wait to see if it's a deer or not. 3. DO NOT remove your safety belt until the exact moment your gonna climb out of your satnd. I had a close call but luckily caught myself. 4. Scout the entire area, not just where it's easy to walk to. 5. I love bowhunting!
Old 01-14-2002, 11:32 AM

Wow Tribal...you're moving up in the world I see...[:-)]

Anyway, I learned, as in muskie fishing, persistance is the key to learning, experience and above all success. Never give up and ALWAYS remain open-minded!!

Couple more things:

-the importance of being scent free!
-the importance of preperation and practice
-be very observant and alert while on stand
-use good equipment

"Enjoy and respect the great outdoors;
Teach our kids the same, someday they'll thank us for it!"

Edited by - fisher501 on 01/14/2002 12:36:59
Old 01-14-2002, 11:45 AM

Thank so much for posting everyone! I too learned a lot from your posts. It gave me some ideas to work on for next season. I am glad you all enjoy bowhunting as much as I do. It's wonderful to be in such good company. This forum benefits by having members like all of you.

Good hunting, Ami
Old 01-14-2002, 12:21 PM
Spike

This season I learned:

Mornings where I hunt give several hours of good hunting and evenings several minutes.

Either get in the woods an hour before first light or wait until daybreak.

Theres nothing like taking your Mckenzie deer target into the woods and setting it up to practice from your stand. Your shooting confidence will soar!

Hunting hillsides is tough because of the wind.

There's too much poaching in PA

Old 01-19-2002, 11:01 AM

I learned I love to hunt. This is the first year I've hunted. I built my confidence. I found that I must sit pretty still and not stink too much because I saw a lot of deer this year. I learned what a scrape is (set my stand near a big one-thought it was a 6 points--turned out to be a 10points)saw two 6 points,and saw 10 point 2x's(took a shot,but missed. I replay that day over and over in my head all the time.) I learned what a rub is. I saw many does, turkeys,squirrels,birds. It's neat to be invisible to the wildlife. Took my 6 yr. old out to sit in the buddy stand with me. The first time I took him, 2 does walked right under us. He knew to be still and quiet. He couldn't believe how big they were(because they were so close). I think my son is into it just as much as I am. He'll be a great hunting partner. I learned this to be a life-long thing for the both of us.
Old 01-19-2002, 12:03 PM

1-to make ABSOLUTELY sure that your bow is tied securely to your hoist rope before you ascend your tree with your climber.
2-pack only what you need in your pack instead of every little hunting gadget.
3-do not leave your camp/truck/house without having your release securely affixed to your bow.
4-I learned that as with all things, no matter how much you plan and think you know, the best way to learn is by doing and learning from your mistakes made during the first try.

Edited by - baldknobber on 01/19/2002 13:05:09
Old 01-19-2002, 06:58 PM

Good Topic!
One of the best things I learned this season is that God has his way for everything. I had my chance to shoot a doe that was with 2 young ones (old enough to live by thereselves though) but, God planned it out to be that somehow I couldnt get a shot,...who knows, maybe the button buck that was with it will turn out to be a big one in years.
Also I learned that watching the deer is far more educational than any book,magazine, or video.
Many more things I learned, but I would need a lot of time.

Old 01-19-2002, 07:06 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: What did you learn this past season?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.