Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 One good chance on buck >

One good chance on buck

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

One good chance on buck

Old 11-09-2005, 06:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Default One good chance on buck

I live in NC...and I'm hunting a nice little piece of private land that I've cultivated all along. I haven't taken a deer from this place all season....and I have exclusive rights to the land (only 49 acres). This land also backs up to MANY acres of prime land.

I've got SEVERAL active scrapes working....but one's getting more attention than others. I was there, yesterday, at around 2:00 (not hunting)....and there was VERY FRESH activity there (if ya know what i mean).

Muzzle loader season begins here, Saturday....and us bowhunters are kept out of the woods during ML season in NC (but not gun season). I want to get this (or one of these) buck, BAD. If I get in the stand long before light, Friday morning (There;a front coming through.....56deg. tonight.....30's on Thursday night)....would a short rattle sequence be out of line? How about a couple of short grunts....just before light? I've never done it....opting for complete silence.....but I wanna see this BUCK!! I also plan to sit ALL DAY, Friday.

What is your advice? You've been doing this longer than I have.

Thanks, in advance, for your response.

Jeff
Old 11-09-2005, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: One good chance on buck

This is not to bash on you Jeff, but I've seen a couple of other posts where guys are scouting or checking on spots during the season. What's the point of risking ruining a spot if you are able to hunt it? Once season starts don't go to the area you plan to hunt unless you're hunting. If it's new property then scout with a bow.

Anyway, now that I've gotten that off my chest. If a spot is good I don't see why it's NECESSARY to do anything to draw attention to your presence. I would go silent for the morning and evening and if you're going to stand all day I'd do my grunting/rattling midday.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Talondale:

I don't take it as a bash....but the rest of the story is....

It's legal to bait in NC. I was putting out corn in the adjacent area, during mid day....when I "Thought" I wouldn't spook anything. That's the only reason I go in there.....and I go in there scent free when I do that.

Jeff
Old 11-09-2005, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've rattled in two bucks, both around 9:00, after prime time. Iwouldwait until then before rattling...