Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 opening day chance at my first buck ! >

opening day chance at my first buck !

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

opening day chance at my first buck !

Old 10-02-2008, 07:51 AM
Spike

Default opening day chance at my first buck !

I have been bowhunting 4 years at the same place. I have shot a couple does but, haven't yet had a good chance at a buck. Yesterday i went out at 3:00. at about 6:15 a huge 10 point came right under my stand. Had him 10 yards away. I blew it. rushed the shot and shot right over him. i am really kicking myself. at least i mesed it up bad enough it was a clean miss I didn't wound the animal. Next time i know I'll take my time and make it count....if I ever get shot at him again. It just replays in my head like a bad dream....when should I go back to that stand?... will he ever be back? It's a low pressured area.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: opening day chance at my first buck !

Makes you sick, doesn't it? I wish I could say that has never happened to me... Stick with it.. It will happen. These are the experiences that truly make you a better hunter when the opportunity comes again.
I'd give it a couple of days and get back in there...

Old 10-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

The more you make mistakes and mess up....the better you will get. It makes you learn more. Right now im in the "learning" stage and im making leaps and bounds from where i was 3 years ago when i started. Just keep at it. Did he spook bad? Or did he just slink off? He he really got spooked and located you, then you might want to change up the stand location, but if he just kinda bounded off and didnt spot or smell you, then you should be alright.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:19 AM

learn, learn, learn, learn, learn! as long as you learn from it it'll make it worth it in the end.

as for how long to wait, likeWest said, give it at least a few days...depends on how bad he spooked.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Spike

He never saw me he just ran behind me, he was spooked but, I think it was just from the noise. I'll make it count next time for sure. I'm going to just take practice shots until saturday or sunday. Then head into the woods prepared, confident and ready.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thats good that it was just the noise,but dont expect him to take the exact same path as he did before.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:08 AM

sounds like a good plan to me
Old 10-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a monster buck ( for my area ), 10 point, chocolate horns,2 years ago. I hit him in the shoulder with hardly any penetration. I was so pumped that I Finlay got a big buck but to only be let down when I couldn't find him. Barley any blood and then no blood. I looked for 3 days in a half mile radius and never found him. Chit happens I guess, and everyone is right, you learn from it and go on, and hope you get another chance.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Spike

thanks guys I'm starting to feel a little better...
Old 10-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

It happens to everyone who bowhunts long enough. I'm a pretty good shot with a bow and have taken many deer with one, but I 'll admit it, I shot over one yesterday. It was the season opener in LA. I saw several deer yesterday morning and picked out a doe to shoot. Shot right over her back at 23 yards. I couldn't believe it. I made up for it in the afternoon though. I stuck a doe about 5:45 at 20 yards. The spitfire took out a lung and her heart. I rushed the morning shot. Don't worry about it too much. It happens and odds are it will happen again one day.

Quick Reply: opening day chance at my first buck !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.