Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 BIG BUCK HIT...NEED ADVICE FAST !!! >

BIG BUCK HIT...NEED ADVICE FAST !!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BIG BUCK HIT...NEED ADVICE FAST !!!

Old 11-09-2005, 07:53 AM

Default RE: BIG BUCK HIT...NEED ADVICE FAST !!!

hey guys thanks for all the great advice...it helped alot, but this story doesnt have a happy ending becuase there are A$$ holes in this world that STEAL deer.. yes you heard correct.. my bro and i did a grid walk this morning and we found a large thicket by a creek and thought we check in there cause that usually were we see deer, and wat do ya know...a gut pile..and guess wats hanging on a tree limb... the nut sac and my bro found3 " portion of his arrow in the gut pile.. I HATE THIEFs.... i hope he enjoys his prize causei hope its the last deer he ever gets

thanks for all the help...even though we didnt get our deer it helped us find it.. so thanks to all you honest hunters out there
Old 11-09-2005, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow that really sucks.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

Perhaps, in thier minds, they found a deer that someone had given up on. Perhaps the deer was still alive when they came upon it. They put it out, tagged it, and took the deer home.

As far as I am concerned, the only time a deer can be "stolen" is when someone physically takes it from your posession. Therein lies the key. If the deer is not in your posession, it is not your deer.

It is unfortunate that your brother did not hit the deer well. I commend you on spending the time to find it. Unfortunately, someone else found it first.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

That Buck WAS stolen! I sympathize with you guys and can only imagine how upset you must be.

DP
Old 11-09-2005, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats just rotten, i'd try to find out who it was, and find out the details.. You never know, they might just give it back to you if they found it dead..

Old 11-09-2005, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Thundergut

Perhaps, in thier minds, they found a deer that someone had given up on. Perhaps the deer was still alive when they came upon it. They put it out, tagged it, and took the deer home.

As far as I am concerned, the only time a deer can be "stolen" is when someone physically takes it from your posession. Therein lies the key. If the deer is not in your posession, it is not your deer.

It is unfortunate that your brother did not hit the deer well. I commend you on spending the time to find it. Unfortunately, someone else found it first.
HERE HERE !! MY SENTIMENTS EXACALLY !!

DD
Old 11-09-2005, 08:54 AM

We had a simular situation on one of our farms. The guys next to us shot a nice 9 point. The deer hoped the fence and ran 250 yards through the woods. Instead of calling us and asking if they could come get the deer they went under the fence with a four wheeler, three days after bow season and rhode all over our land around where our stands where and everything. So when i found the deer three days later, I cut off the head and kept it untill they fixed the fence and gave us permission to trample over their land and find our deer, I was so TO'ed.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

That sucks real bad that you had that brute taken like taht ....we have had that happen twice if i can remember , only with doe , so it didnt piss us off to that extent....

One time i can recall goin with my dad when i was still unable to hunt , he put 2 heart/lung shots into a 7 pointer up at our cabin on first day of gun season here in PA , well it gets so packed in teh woods if u dont drop it say goodbye to ur buck, well it makes it to the top of the hill , and BAM a guy shoots it , it turned and came back down hill to us , this time with our 2 vital hits and his gutshot in it , so my dad popped it again only in the neck as it leaned on a tree , dropping the deer in its tracks , so we get up and walk over to it , just so happens the guy that shot him in the guts is there already starting to fill out his tag !!!!! my dad said " so can i help you" and the guy is like yea not a bad buck i got here ey? my dad chuckled and began to point out our 3 vital hits , one in which it dropped , then showed the man how his gutshot was the only hole that entered on his side of the deer that he was aiming at , well after we showed him this he appologized and walked away , but u could tell he was a newbie to hunting , just the way he carried himself , o well i guess we got the buck at the end so it was fine....

But what really took the cake was 2 bow seasons ago my buddy put an arrow into the back ham of a bruiser , well we let him lay up for a long time , thinking he hit the phemoral artery in the ham..... well we get on teh blood and follow it for about 120 yards , and there we find , not more then 4 hrs after the shot , a dead deer , HUGE HUGE body , very muscular with a dark coat , the same at the one he had shot , this one with a hole in the back right ham . his arrow had broken off , and killed the deer form the hit , but some passer by felt necessary to simply cut the head off the buck and leave the rest lay!!!!!!!!! how crappy is that ? i find so many deer around per gun season with heads cut off that it makes me sick!!!! but those r just my personal experiences with theifs.....
Old 11-09-2005, 09:22 AM

Were you on private land? Anyone else you know hunting it? Was the gut pile on your land (if private)?

To me I would only claim this deer if it was on public land and I found him alive. If he was on his last legs I sure would feel funny though claiming him as my "Trophy". There is a difference in putting an animal out of it's misery and harvesting a deer in a hunting situation.

I would try to find out who was hunting in the area.

Bill
Old 11-09-2005, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would check with the local butchers, and taxidermists. Someone might have seen him, that way you could possibly track your deer down and possibly confront who found it and why they took it. Was it dead when they found it? Did they have to shoot him to put him down? Pretty easy to find this stuff out if it was takin in for processing, not hard to see how many wounds it had. If you don't find him, good luck with the rest of your season.

Shane