Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Illinois Public Land >

Illinois Public Land

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Illinois Public Land

Old 11-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Spike

Default Illinois Public Land

So heres the deal....I hunt at Clinton Lake State Park in central illinois and haveseen tons of deer here over the past couple of years while hunting and driving around throughout the year. Im now hunting an area that is seeing more pressue due to the rut approaching, and also upland game season just opened up this past weekend and there have been people walking around the area all day for the past few days looking for birds and rabbits. My question is do you think the deer are going to be spooked by this activity and should i give up on this particular spot, or will the deer be moving regardless due to the rut approaching(i have seen a couple of nice bucks within the last couple of days while leaving my stand). Also is anyone else in IL familiar with the land im talking about?? Thanks alot

Jason
Old 11-07-2005, 05:55 PM

Default RE: Illinois Public Land

Jason...I kinda know where you are talking about...just not exactly.I live in Bloomington and sometimesbring the boat down to fish at Clinton. I have shot my bow a few times at the archery range by the North side boat launch. I have always wanted to give Clinton a try for hunting, have only lived in Illinois for 7 years. I currently drive down to Lake Shelbyville to hunt on the public land there. I have had good success, but it is such a long drive. i would't know where to start looking @ Clinton to start hunting the land there. I have thought about going to the rangers office to ask for suggestions, but haven't found the time...If you ever need somebody to hunt with..just let me know.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

HI, I'M NOT FAMILIAR WITH CLINTON BUT I DO HUNT SHELBYVILLE LAKE A LOT. I'M CONFIDENT THAT THE SITUATION IS THE SAME THOUGH. THE DEER ARE STILL THERE, THEY ARE JUST HIDING BETTER! YOU NEED TO LOOK FOR THEM ALONG THE WATER EDGES(ESPECIALLY ALONG THE RIVERS THAT FEED THE AREA) AT SHELBYVILLE, DUE TO THE LOW WATER LEVELS, THERE ARE AREAS OF WEEDS 50-100 YARDS WIDE AND FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN THE DEER ARE HIDING IN THE OUTERMOST 40 YARDS OR SO. THEY WILL STAY PUT UNTIL DARK LETTING YOU WALK BY WITHIN YARDS OF THEM WITHOUT FLEEING. I'M AFTER A BUCK THAT HAS 10 INCH BROW TINES AND WILL SCORE AROUND 170 THAT IS DOING THIS. IT MAKES FOR FRUSTRATING HUNTING BUT HOPEFULLY PATIENCE WILL PREVAIL. ALSO HUNT WHEN AND WHERE OTHERS DON'T! MY BEST DAYS ARE WHEN IT IS RAINING ESPECIALLY WHEN IT IS HOT LIKE THIS. LOOK FOR PLACES OVERLOOKED, SPOTS "TOO" CLOSE TO THE ROAD, BRUSHY DITCHES, ETC . HOPE THIS HELPS AND GOOOD LUCK
Old 11-07-2005, 11:47 PM

i have been huntingthere for 3 1/2 weeks now. seen alot of deer. we are hunting a little 30 acre finger where there has'nt been alot of preasure. i go to my standlast friday afternoon, and notice someone has set up 50 freakin yards from me!my suggestion is to get backin the thicket as far as you canwhere the rabbit and bird hunters don't want to go.if you think it is a place wherethey might run dogs through there, i would move. dogs hate briars.