Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Public land in Illinois?? >

Public land in Illinois??

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Public land in Illinois??

Old 04-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Spike

Default Public land in Illinois??

Is there any???

ha..are there any small bucks in IL? I am from VT and sick of seeing baby bucks...wanna try out of state? Could I harvest one on public land in IL??
Old 04-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Public land in Illinois??

You can but you have to apply now for gun season. For bow you can buy tags over the counter later on.

For gun seasons, go the the Illinois DNR website. You have to apply for a specific county, or hunting area. Then wait. If you draw a tag theywill mail it to you.

Good luck. This is the worst state when it comes to gun hunting for deer. Bowhunting, thats another story, buy all the tags you want and take all the does you want.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex
Old 04-10-2007, 03:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you're thinking of hunting for bucks, non residents can't apply for shotgun tags till August and the NR Archery tags are by lottery in June. The only thing a NR archery hunter can buy over the counter are doe tags. Much of the public land that is available to a few non residents is by drawing and many of them are over for the year. It varies from place to place. There's some public ground near our lease and the drawing deadline for non residents was April 1
Old 04-10-2007, 05:52 AM
Spike

So basically what you guys are telling me is that there is very little public land open to bow/gun hunting in IL? And if any NR wants to shoot a buck in IL they need o apply for a permit...am I getting all of this correct?
Old 04-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

To hunt public land that is correct. You have to apply and draw a permit for a specific WMA or county. If you do not get one of these permits, the only way to hunt is either know someone with private land, lease or go with an outfitter.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

You do not have to draw for a specific wma in illinois for resident or non resident.There are thousands upon thousands of acres in southern illinois to hunt.All you have to do is get drawn which is pretty much a give in since everyone who applied last year got a permit.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: duckhunter669

You do not have to draw for a specific wma in illinois for resident or non resident.There are thousands upon thousands of acres in southern illinois to hunt.All you have to do is get drawn which is pretty much a give in since everyone who applied last year got a permit.
True in thesouthernparts of the state, but up here it gets crowded early and often.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Born & raised in North West Ill & now live in N.E. Iowa one hour from Ws..
Ill.-South-Shawnee National Forest. Crap Orchard.

Go to Ill. DNR web site & look at public areas for the section of the state you want to hunt.
Bowhunt is your best bet-lots less pressure for sure.
Don't let the word public scare you. If you don't get an Ill. permit go to Ws. Plenty of excellent Deer Bowhunting there-been traveling to Ws. many years & always public ground. Lots of National forests.
I usually Bowhunt the upper 1/3 of the state.
I have never gun hunted for any biggame animal & this is the start of my 51st year Bowhunting. Good Luck.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

Yes. You can kill a good buck on public land in IL, and agree w/ the others... your chances and the amount of land available is good down south... I live within an hour of 40,000 acres all public, and half of that is 4 on a side restriction.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bowflex ..........

.....misinformation

..... misinformation

..... misinformation

This is the worst state when it comes to gun hunting for deer.

Bowflex
Worst state for gun hunting deer?!

Adios! There's good roads that lead in all directions out of the state.

Quick Reply: Public land in Illinois??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.