Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My first deer!!  Was it "Humane" >

My first deer!! Was it "Humane"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My first deer!! Was it "Humane"

Old 11-05-2005, 08:53 PM

Default My first deer!! Was it "Humane"

It was a neck shot (by mistake) and the deer dropped right in his tracks, it was dead in about 5 minutes. My bow shoots arrows pretty hard it should of sliced right threw him but it didnt. The broadhead broke off in the deers neck. Well here he is - his horns are ugly.

Is there a way to scale the image down?

Old 11-05-2005, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My first deer!! Was it "Humane"

why would you even post this statement
Old 11-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Neet lookin buck

I cant personally say rather or not its humane or not because I know everybody has their own differnt oppinions. I wouldn't ever shoot a deer in the neck in pourpose. But accidents do happen.

How bad of a mistake was the shot?? is ur bow tuned properly? Can you shoot it accurately?? How far was the shot??
Old 11-05-2005, 09:16 PM

Im curious if he suffered/felt it and what he died from.. There wasent alot of blood loss.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

You hit the spine
Old 11-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think if you did everything you could to make it a clean and quick kill, then yes it was humane. Somtimes shots do go astray, but it is up to us to make sure we give the animal the respect it deserves and complete the hunt.

I don't see anything wrong with the antlers. Good deer.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:26 PM
Typical Buck

congrats on your buck. if thats the only shot you had and couldnt get any other then yeah you did good because your eating venison now. you hit the spine im sure cuz he dropped in his tracks.Me, I would have probally let him walk and let him grow another yr or so. but looks like you got r done, now do him justice and eat em up
Old 11-05-2005, 10:47 PM

In my opinion I would consider it borderline. The reason I say that is it was an accident, at least the deer died. I was curios though did you sit and watch the deer die. If so why didn't you put another shot in him. I am not trying to be judgemental or say anything bad here, i am glad he died but I myself would wan't to put him out of his misery as quickly as i can. Also I have found that the meat taste differently when they don't die quickly, have any of you guys expierienced this before?
Old 11-05-2005, 11:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

5 minutes until dead is about as humain as you can get in our bow world. It's dead your eating good job.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

5minutes is not real long.But I would of probably cut his throat immediately. congrates on the buck

Quick Reply: My first deer!! Was it "Humane"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.