Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hunting along streams? >

hunting along streams?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting along streams?

Old 11-04-2005, 06:57 AM

Default hunting along streams?

i just got a new piece of property to hunt and was curious what you guys think about hunting along streams. The property is not that big(13 acres) and the backside of it is bordered by a nice stream about 1-3 feet deep and about 20 feet wide. I scouted real quick(in my work clothes and shoes) and found a nice stand spot in the corner of the field (with the fence down in corner) and right at a shallow part of the stream. I saw a ton of deer on the surrounding properties including a few buck and saw a deer exit the field here. So what do you guys think about hunting along streams? I am looking for a buck now since i have two does in the freezer. Do bucks travel the edges of streams as a travel route? thanks
Old 11-04-2005, 07:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: hunting along streams?

I have the same question. I KNOW there's1 buck utilizing this area (I have a 25 acre new piece of hunting land with 2 streams). I saw my first ever scrape in the fieldthere, yesterday, while putting out some.....ummm....enhancements to the area! I can't decide whetehr to hunt near this scrape.....or hunt up higher. I can see where they're moving, better, by being up higher.....but I may miss a chance at this buck if I don't set up near this water source and known scrape.

Dilemma.

Jeff
Old 11-04-2005, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a good spot. A transition area. I wouldn't set up on the field. Although your visibility is greater for a bow it doesn't benefit you much.Sounds like there may be a trail for crossing. Creek bottoms are usually buck magnets too. Also, I don't know if they run dogs that close to D.C. but if they do I've seen more than one deer travel down the middle of shallow creeks to throw off the dogs.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Spike

The two properties I have both have streams the run right through them, I have found that the deer really use these as their travel routes. I think the like the feeling of security that a stream on one side of them brings. I like to hunt stands that over look the streams and I have good luck w/ seeing deer. My father likes to hunt over our 13 acre food plot and we both see alot of deer but I normally see them 30 to 45 min before him. It's usually too dark to shoot by the time they get to the field.I've had good success.Good luck
Old 11-04-2005, 08:59 AM

thanks i think i am going down there tonight to hang a stand to hunt tomorrow afternoon
Old 11-04-2005, 09:04 AM

I was floating a stream here for smallmouth last weekend and saw a nice 8 pt. up on the bank. He was right on the edge. It was a brushy area running parallel to the stream on one side and agriculture on the other side. So yes I saw him first hand traveling the edge of the stream.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:04 AM

I think you located a PERFECT spot. Looks like a possible funnel point with deer all around. Set up where you said and good luck. I've experienced decent results close to small streams in years past. Seen deer come right across the stream and also had deer come right down the bank nibbling on leaves. Awesome spot.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

i hunt on public land and the deer sem to hang close to the stream. scrapes, rubs, beds everything is right there. i think most hunters wont cross streams to hunt. i'd lay some scent down and even make a mock scrape if u got a good spot and set a stand. show the deer others are comfortable in that are and hopefully u can get them to use the area more often. good luck bro and happy hunting.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Streams can cover up your own noise
Old 11-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

It's been my experience that streams are natural funnels for deer. Most of the time, a deer will take the path of least resistance when traveling. This usually means a lower area. We all know deer are creatures that like edges to begin with. Most good ridge crossings consist of a low saddle. Your stream is lower than everything else around it, so I'd bet they actually do use it to travel.

GH

Quick Reply: hunting along streams?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.