Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Squirrels and birds give position away. >

Squirrels and birds give position away.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Squirrels and birds give position away.

Old 11-04-2005, 08:09 AM

Default RE: Squirrels and birds give position away.

It's natures way to have all birds and animals warn each other of possible danger and if you alert the critters around you to your presents they are gonna like wise warn the deer that are within ear shot. Try to blend in and you'll see more deer.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:59 AM

Sometimes its funto blow the ole hoot owl call back at the barking turds. Kinda funny watching them when you know they are thinking "OH SH#$ I should of kept my mouth shut".
Old 11-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Spike

I belive that the birds and chipmucks give your position away i have scouted an area from three months seen a 6x6 when the hunt started up i seen nothing i hunted that same spot for 3 weeks straight all day long and didnt seem him again. untill the season was over and birds and chip munks werent doing anything.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are doing the job right the birds and squirrels will never notice you. I have had them all around me and even in the same tree as me without noticing me. You have to be STILL!
Old 11-04-2005, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ProszekD
i have scouted an area from three months seen a 6x6 when the hunt started up i seen nothing i hunted that same spot for 3 weeks straight all day long and didnt seem him again.
Well ,
I beleive the wind for 3 weeks didn't stay in the same direction,
and maybe he got YOUR pattern down,
So hejustdecided to travel that area at night only!
Old 11-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

You guys got it all wrong! I pick my hunting spots purposely in the "hot" squirrel areas. Deer are long time "blood" enemies of squirrels. The deer eat the squirrels winter stashes of nuts when the long cold winters get rough. When I hear the squirrels barking I know the deer are moving and get ready...The squirrels either dont see me or Dont consider me too much of a threat because they dont bark at me...I luv squirrels
Old 11-04-2005, 08:26 PM

Ok. So I see this post after what happened today. I'm sitting on my tree when this buck moved under me. I drew as one of these b#$!y squirrels jumps on my tree 1' below my stand, sees me and bounces off to another tree making 1#@$$# of a noise. Guess what the buck did.
I guess they are used to the noise those critters make but they also pay attention to it.

Ps Had 5 squirrels in the area all afternoon, only one selected my tree at just that time.

Get those @#$#!
Old 11-04-2005, 09:02 PM

squirrels have never really bothered me, i did poke one with my arrow once while it was crawling on the tree right next to me...he went nuts and im pretty sure hes still runnin
Old 11-05-2005, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have found that squirrels will anounce the presence of deer, hawks and fox. I notice when I let the squirrel know I'm there in a suttle way he won't freak out and start that anoying sound they make. Having themaround you makes things seem tranquil.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:08 AM

this mourning they were all over. they werent barkin any but i sure didnt see any deer. so after about 3 hours of hunting i put and arrow in one and called it a day