Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mid-day hunting

Old 11-02-2005, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default Mid-day hunting

Where do you hunt during mid-day hunts?Over openings,food plots,thick wooded areas,swamps,logging trails?Any other terrain?I usually hunt in semi-open woods,next to thickets,places where I always see sign,but never see deer in the mornings,or evenings.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mid-day hunting

This week, I'm hunting travel lanes; trails leading from one area of deer cover to another. The bucks are rambling, looking for does.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

How come you don't hunt where you see them in the morning and evening. They should be in that area too and if you sit all day you will see more.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:25 PM

I saw a nice 8 or 9 point at 2:30 today rubbbing sapplings in a little brush about 75 yards off a field. Not a care in the world. Something must have chased himaway from any does, he was alone.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: thenuge15

How come you don't hunt where you see them in the morning and evening. They should be in that area too and if you sit all day you will see more.
To be honest this year has been a real struggle with alot of heat,and Deer movement has been real low.I'm hoping to catch one moving around mid-day during the upcoming full moon..I see piles of sign,and tracks,but no deer.Thanks for the help so far guys!
Old 11-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Look for a bottle neck ( funnel ) in you hunting spots. The bucks are traveling so pick a spot that increases your chances. I'm telling you funnels are how you get big bucks.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:24 AM

I usually just hunt in the am. I haven't tried much evening hunting and any time I do go out in the evening, I don't see much. On opening day, I was in my stand from morning all day and stayed till it got dark. I didn't see anything early, but had a couple of young doe come in around noon. Didn't see anything after that either. I'm hunting in a wooded area that has a natural funnel coming in to my area about 50 yards to the north. I'm sitting almost in the middle of the area and have a couple of rubs about 30 yards from my stand. This is the first time I've hunted this area and didn't get the chance to do much pre-season scouting. I haven't seen a lot of activity yet, but they seem to be moving from about 8am until about 1pm (the few I've seen anyway). I hoping that the rut will be starting soon, and I might have some bigger bucks come through. I'd like to get a wall hanger this year. I've only got two deer under my belt, one buck and one doe. I guess we'll see how the rest of the season pans out. If I get to hunt this land again next year, I'm hoping to get it set up better and get to do some more pre-season scouting. I know there's deer out there, I'm just having trouble figuring out where they are. Good luck to you. Don't know if this helped or not, I kinda went off on my own little thread here.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I WISH EVEYONE HAD THEIR STATE LISTED UNDER THEIR USER ID SO WE COULD KIND OF COMPARE OUR AREA'S ... I AM IN NORTH ALABAMA 25 MILES BELOW THE TENNESSEE STATE LINE AND WE ARE COVERED WITH ACORNS MAKING IT VERY HARD TO PATTERN THE DEER ... IVE BEEN HUNTING AROUND WATER ..TOOK ONE DOE BUT HAVE NOT SEEN JUST A LOT OF DEER MOVEMENT SO FAR ..

ROLL TIDE
DD

Old 11-03-2005, 07:25 AM

I think deer movement will slow down but a hot doe is a hot doe and I dont think what the temp is, if a buck gets a whiff of her he will go anywhere anytime. I will be hunting my ridge stands. Here in SW Missouri lots of Ozarks Hills, I have stand strategically placed along side ridges where bucks will troll trying to catch whiffs of a hot doe.

Hunt all day!

Chris
SW MO
Old 11-03-2005, 07:38 AM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Look for a bottle neck ( funnel ) in you hunting spots. The bucks are traveling so pick a spot that increases your chances. I'm telling you funnels are how you get big bucks.

This is so right. Its EXACTLY how I hunt.

Quick Reply: Mid-day hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.