Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Why Not Take a Shot at 60+ yards? >

Why Not Take a Shot at 60+ yards?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why Not Take a Shot at 60+ yards?

Old 10-09-2002, 09:23 AM

Default RE: Why Not Take a Shot at 60+ yards?

I will never attempt anything over 30yds. I shot quite a few deer in my lifetime and the average yard shot was probably 15yds. I can shoot well over 50yds at a target, but when it comes to moving wildlife I deffinetly wont shoot over 30yds in the woods.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:59 AM
AK

Why take a chancey shot a 60 when you can try a stalk for a better shot at 20 or 10?

Old 10-09-2002, 12:21 PM

NYBOWHUNTER11 stated it took 2 mins. to kill a lung hit deer and 45-50 to kill a liver hit deer. Unbelieveable! My double lung deer or hogs are down in 10-15 seconds and out within 30 seconds. I've seen a number of them drop and watched their last kick. Is anyone out there satisfied with a deer living almost an hour after the hit? And this guy will fling arrows at 60 yards if he has a tag. Unbelievable!
Old 10-09-2002, 01:09 PM

I know if I keep seeing deer out of range of an ethical kill I will have a stand set up nearby ready for the next hunt. It takes 15 seconds for the oxygen in the blood to be burned up. I would rather have a tag left than have a deer painfully bleed to death bedded up somewhere where you don't have a chance of finding it.

X-Pat Brit Livin the good life in NC
Old 10-09-2002, 01:17 PM

Ok first off shooting at a 3-d target at 60 yards is much easier then taking a 10 yard shot at a 12 pt. buck or any deer period. Second The question isn't why not take a shot at 60 yards..... But why??? Why the heck would a person take a shot at 60???? You have no anchor point to aim your pin at, it's just a guess. Unless you have one of those bow scopes, which are illegal in my state and completely dumb. There is no need for a bow scope and no need to take a shot at 60 yards. Anybody that does is not my friend and not a hunter and out of his or her frickin mind. It's also unethical. These types of hunters are what gives us good dedicated hunters a bad name. I am not gonna waste my time and effort on discussing with people and convincing them that I am still a good person all because some idiot decides to take a 60 yard shot and end up wounding the deer and or something or someone else. Just venting a little..... Goodluck be safe and as always

Knuckles up>>> Brian

Old 10-09-2002, 03:41 PM

I've got an Antelope on the wall that I shot in Montana back in 91 from about 60 yards. I had practiced and felt VERY confident out to 45 since I was hunting Elk in the breaks area. I bought the Speed goat tag because I like the meat. As we were hunting that week they were going out about 55 - 60 yards and turning broadside to watch. So I set a target at 70 sighted a pins for reference and when the goat turned broadside later the next day I took him.
Here in Ohio 35-40 is absolute max for me regardless as it is tougher finding a deer in the brush/woods than on a sage flat.

Again I had spent quite a bit of time practicing out to about 50 yards as I knew I was hunting pretty open country so it wasn't much of a strech going the extra 10 at that time.

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!
Old 10-09-2002, 05:53 PM

I assume everyone shooting at 60 yards is using a quality range finder. The difference between 60 and 63 yards would probably mean a miss. A lot of luck would be involved with a good hit.