Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cell Phones in the woods >

Cell Phones in the woods

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cell Phones in the woods

Old 10-31-2005, 03:09 PM

Default RE: Cell Phones in the woods

I always carry my phone with me because I am usually hunting alone (hubby is off during the week and I am off standard Sat. and Sun.). Even though I am hunting on private land and there is no one anywhere around I just feel safer knowing that I can have contact with the outside world (I walk in about half a mile after I drive in about a quarter of a mile and park). I call and let my Dad know when I am leaving the woods (he lives down the road from where I hunt and apparently worries about me being out there alone even though I am 30 and armed!). Other than that I have it turned off and take a book to read for my entertainment.

I enjoy hunting and being outside and the friendly competition that comes with hunting but the biggest attraction -- for me anyway -- is being unreachable and out of touch. The idea that someone could call and intrude on my time kinda ruins it for me.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

i pretty much always hunt alone but do hunt with others sometimes. one way or another i still carry one. i almost always leave it off. i do usually keep it on when i'm hog hunting on the ground at least. i have left it on accidentally while deer hunting and it went off. i never have it on usually when i deer hunt but i forgot about it.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:17 PM

yeah me and my cousin carry ours....we keep em on vibrate.....and use them just to let eachother know if deer are coming eachothers way and in case of emergencys....good luck with that buck
Old 10-31-2005, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Next time just get out of your stand and walk up to him and slap his yapper back and fourth about 6 times. That will usually let them know you don't like to be interrupted while deer hunting.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

txt messaging is great in the stand imo
Old 10-31-2005, 04:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

NOTE: for everyone that carries a cell phone while hunting ........double and triple check that you've turned it to vibrate or silent mode. I had 4 does working towards me when my phone went off and they proceeded to trot away. Apparently they weren't too keen on the Notre Dame fight song.[:-][:-]
Old 10-31-2005, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the last few years, I was carrying my cell phone when I was hunting just in case I got injured and needed to call for help. It's always off and only used to call out when I need to.

Last year, I got a buck late in the day and decided to call my wife to let her know I would be late getting home that night since I had a long drag. I couldn't get service in the area I was in!

I don't carry it any more.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:01 PM

I must confess; carry mine also..on vibrate, just in case the wife needs me, or I fall, or worse.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I carry mine on my person, just in case I end up dangling in my safety vest or something. I used to keep it off, but now i keep it on vibrate. I figure if I have an emergency situation, I don't want to have to power the thing up and wait for service. I want to make that call NOW!
Old 10-31-2005, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always bring my cell to the woods with me *(in case of emergencies) but it's always on vibrate. I have used it to alert my buddies when I see good deer headed their way. I think it's alright, but what this guy was doing wasn't. The thing you gotta realize is that you're hunting public ground. You'll prolly run into a lot of idiots. Sorry about the luck though, that totally sucks!

Quick Reply: Cell Phones in the woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.