Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Switchback draws first blood >

Switchback draws first blood

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Switchback draws first blood

Old 10-31-2005, 06:44 AM

Default Switchback draws first blood

I got my first deer last night with my new bow!
I bought the bow last Feb, after hunting season was over.
Yesterday is the 2nd day I've bow hunted this year.

In the morning we got to our stands late due to the Weather Channel being off by an HOUR on sunrise time! They didn't factor in daylight savings I guess. Oh well, I needed the sleep after a down and back flight to MS to do a motorcycle deal on Fri-Sat and then driving 5 hours home Sat night.

About 8am I had 3 doe come past my stand at a trot.
They came in and thru so fast I didn't have a good chance at them and since they were headed right to my partners stand(who's wife is a real treat and this is the first day he's been able to unlock the ball and chain and go hunting this year) I didn't try for a shot. I really want Chris to have a chance to kill a deer this year.
About 5 mintutes later I hear Chris shoot, but it sounded like it hit something other than a deer(rats)

About 10am I get down and work my way over to his stand, it's only about100 yards away.
Yep, he missed the deer.

I go back to my house,take my wonderful wife(who pretty much let's me hunt as much as I want, bless her)out to lunch.

Chris and I head back to our stands at about 2PM, I'm in the stand by 2:30.
I settle in, enjoying the warm,cloudy day.
My stand is right along a creek so it is very scenic.
I try to stay awake as I am really tired.
I pass the time taking a few pictures from my stand and watching the other wildlife, well, be wild.

At 3:20 I see movement ahead of me.
There are some big oaks that partially block the view of the trail that way so I am not sure where he came from. At first I think it's the deer from the morning but this one is alone.
It keeps coming in and at about 20 yards or so I can see it is a small buck. I don't usually try to shoot young bucks but I have to admit, after blanking last year with a bow, I was excited to have the chance to take one.
I am deciding wether or not to shoot it and he walks within about 5 ft of the bottom of my stand. Completely unaware I am there! The wind was perfect.
I really suck at straight down shots so I am thinking this one in going to walk because I figure he is going to keep going past my stand.
Well he does a U turn and heads up the trail to the creek. Now he is straight away and I won't take that shot.
At this point I am standing with bow in hand. I am just about ready to hang the bow back up and the deer turns, quartering away at about 8 yards. I can't resist, I have plenty(3) of tags.
I come to full draw, settle the top pin about 7-10 inches back from his shoulder(remember, aim for the exit hole!) and squeeze the trigger on the my release.
Quaaaack, the deer hunches a little and turns to run the way he come in.
I can see the exit hole,tight behind his shoulder, perfect! The deer runs out of sight, tail straight up the whole way(this part started me wondering?). I hear what I think is him crashing, over towards my partners stand.
I sit down(before I fall) I get excited about every deer I shoot.
I check the time, 3:45
I look and I can see my arrow, the white feathers are now red. This is good.
I take a drink of Diet Pepsi and wait. 15 minutes go by I get down to get the arrow.
Yep it's bloody, I even softly say, for those of you that are Ted fans, "where have we seen this before?"
My arrow went thru the deer so fast that it stuck the broadhead in a 6" log that was on the ground. I mean really stuck it in! I unscrew the arrow and have to use my leatherman pliers to remove the broadhead! It is bent like the top of a Dairy Queen ice cream cone! That is the only thing I don't like about the Magnus "Nugent" blades, if you hit a tree or other semi solid object, they bend. They sure do work great on deer though!

I get back in the stand to hunt the rest of the afternoon.
Nothing else shows so at dark I get down and start to trail my deer.
I find blood but not as much as I would think should be there.
I am thinking, oh no, maybe I hit him low?
Well I am about 50 yards from my stand, followingthe blood and my cell phone rings. I'm thinking, who is calling me?
It's Chris, my hunting partner. He is back at the truck getting a bigger light but the good news is he watched the deer crash and die about 30 feet from his stand! Whoooo Hooooo!

I wait for Chris to get to me and we go to where the deer lays.
The shot was just about perfect and he went about 75-80 yards.

I gut him out and tag him.
Only had to drag him about 30 yards to the field lane to get him in the truck.

First bow kill of the year!
First kill with my new Switchback!
I did everything right!!!!
I made a good shot!
I have 2 more tags!
Fresh backstrap tonight!
God, I love bowhunting!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-31-2005, 07:51 AM

Default RE: Switchback draws first blood

Awsome story.

Good job on the first of the year.

CYberg
Old 10-31-2005, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

great reading and congrats
Old 10-31-2005, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great story and congrats!
Old 10-31-2005, 09:21 AM

Congrats, nice story too.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:25 AM

Got my first deer of the year on Saturday. It was the first one I have shot with a bow. He would have gotten away, if I had not woke up from a nap.

Old 10-31-2005, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great job on the deer. It always feels good when everything comes together.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:39 AM

Thanks guys!
I'll be back at it next Sunday in NE Iowa in my favorite hunting grounds.
I am going to hold my any sex tag for a buck of "wallhanger" quality. The rut should be on by next weekend.
Wish me luck!

I just got home from cutting upthe one from yesterday. Nothing better than backstrap in the freezer(well other than on your plate)
Old 11-01-2005, 02:53 AM

Great story and congrats on the first kill!!! Good luck getting the wall hanger!