Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What scent to use for mock scrapes? >

What scent to use for mock scrapes?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What scent to use for mock scrapes?

Old 10-24-2005, 07:21 AM

Default What scent to use for mock scrapes?

Thought about trying to make a mock scrape after seeing some pics from another post and just wanted to know what kind of scent some of ya'll use on your mock scrapes?
Old 10-24-2005, 07:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What scent to use for mock scrapes?

Since your new to the forums I'll post this again. Welcome to the forums.

There was a study done in Bowhunter magazine. In the study several mock scrapes were set up using four scents.....there were several scrapes for each of the 4 scents.

In the scrapes were buck urine, doe urine, human urine and new car smell....that's right, new car smell.

Over the scrapes they set up both video and still cameras. The scrapes that were visited the most were the scrapes that held buck urine and the scrapes containing human urine and both visited equally....

The scrapes containing doe urine and the ones using the new car smell were both visited equally but less frequent than the scrapes containing buck or human urine...

SO, according to this study, you should use a buck urine based scent for your mock scrapes....

That being said, I've made several mock scrapes over the years and only successfully witnessed one buck using one scrape containing Tinks 69.

I've since used Bob Kirshners Silver Top.....with marginal success.....mostly I feel scents are a waste of time....but I still test them.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:31 AM

Wall Hanger by James Valley it contains buck urine & works well for starting a mock scrape.

Old 10-24-2005, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

I've had tremendous success using Wildlife Research "Active Scrape". I can honestly say that I hve had 100% of my scrapes visited that I've used this in. Of course I'm using this only in areas that I know a buck/bucks are frequenting.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

I agree on the active scrape. I originally bought the 1 oz bottle, and I was extremely impressed.

I recently bought the dripper kit to see if that makes the timing of visits better.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:02 AM
Spike

This past weekend I tried a mock scrape for the first time. I used a stick to create the scrape then poured wildlife research non-estrous doe urine in it. I also soaked a scent wick and hung it from the tree above the scrape. Right before dark I called in anice big-bodied 9 pt and he walked past the scrape sniffing it. Turned completely around and stopped on top of the scrape sniffing it for at least 60 seconds before I shot him. I couldn't believe it. I've been very impressed with Wildlife Research's products.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

SO, according to this study, you should use a buck urine based scent for your mock scrapes....
Why would you come to that conclusion from the study if Human Urine worked equally well? It's a lot cheaper.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Spike

I like Jackie's Instant Mock Scrape Powder. Itdoes a great job of starting a scrape. It has a scent thatreally pulls deer in and makes them want to pee in the scrape then it holds the scent of theirurine as well. Another good choice would be Hawg's Limited Pre/Post Rut which is a synthetic. For the overhanging branch, I use Jackie's Licking Branch Scent but a lot of guys like the Hawg's Limited FGland synthetic. I guess it's personal preference. I've had such good luck with the natural scents from Jackie's that it's hard to switch but the Hawg's products are supposed to belonger lasting. In a couple of weeks, adding the James Valley gels to your scrape, which are buck and doe in heat scents, would be a good strategy.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:29 PM

Another vote for Active Scrape by Wildlife Research. The stuff is AWESOME.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

I use ACTIVE SCRAPE...and I think most would agree with my results here http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1255733

that it works.

Quick Reply: What scent to use for mock scrapes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.