Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what do you do when.... >

what do you do when....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what do you do when....

Old 10-21-2005, 08:35 AM

Default what do you do when....

what do you do when you arrive for an afternoon hunt and the deer are already in the spot you want to get to? yesterday i got off work a little early got home showered and was at my spot by 3:45....but as i drove by i saw 3 deer in the small field that i wanted to hunt. i tried to sneak in real slow and then crawled when i got within 60 yards of the spot. my luck the wind changed or i was in a low draw with swirling wind cause a little one started snorting at me. i tried snorting back to confuse the deer and i think i did. it ran off but then came back again. i continued my crawl but the deer were gone because of the alarm....so what do you do when the deer are already there?[&:]
Old 10-21-2005, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: what do you do when....

I just get in as quite as possible, know I will spoke what's already there. But I will get there and set up for the hunt to continue.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:10 AM

yea but its a really small wood plot, maybe 10-15 total?[&o]
Old 10-21-2005, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

You did the best you could considering the situation. That is cool how you snorted back at them. I am going to try that. I am always messing with the deer when I am not going to take a shot at them. Probably why I haven't seen that big buck for a couple of years.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

go to another spot or part of the property if at all possible. Otherwise, spook em and hope for the best. The closer it gets to the rut the less spooking ones already there will hurt.

I ran into this the other night. Pulled in and had a big buck standing there. Runs into the woodlot I wanted to hunt. I wasn't about to follow him and push him further potentially. I figured him being scared from a car, is FAR less detrimental than him being spooked out by a person from a place he took refuge to.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:23 AM

if it is a main feeding area dont sweat it the deer will come back. If it is a pass through area between bed and food, you would be better to find a different place to hunt for the afternoon.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:02 AM

I would stay out and wait. Find another spot or another day. I don't sneak up on too many deer.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:52 PM

If early in the season, I would back off and retreat to another area as not to spook them. If mid season where the deer might be a bit more relaxed, I would still retreat, but only a 50-75 yards or so and find another tree hoping the deer will eventually migrate towards you.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

hunt, better then going home.deer do come back. And skip the shower
Old 10-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Quote:
hunt, better then going home.deer do come back. And skip the shower

LOL cardeer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.