Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 OHHH.....all the acorns!! >

OHHH.....all the acorns!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OHHH.....all the acorns!!

Old 10-19-2005, 06:03 PM

Default OHHH.....all the acorns!!

I don't know about ya'll, but all the acorns this year are really messin me up! There are sooooooooo many of them, as has been discussed before, that the deer just don't need to move at all. I am seeing deer, but gee wiz...it takes 'em like half an hour to move 20 yards. You best have your stand set exactly perfect right now around here. Closest I have been is 40 yards, which for me, is 10 yards too far, and I REFUSE to bend that self imposed rule.

We have 2 one acre clover patches planted, and every year the deer have them mowed down right next to the ground. Shoot, not this year. That stuff is just as tall and lush as it can be. They aren't touchin it at all, I mean, not at all. I'll be glad when them glutenous suns uh guns get all them nuts vacuumed off the ground.........SHEESH!!
Old 10-19-2005, 06:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: OHHH.....all the acorns!!

Perhaps your stand should be somewhere between their beds and those oaks ?

I know what you mean , the patch of woods I live in is covered with oaks , when you walk across the back yard you might as well be dancing on bubble wrap .
Old 10-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

We had the same problem here in Texas last year. I could not see a
deer to save my life. I am seeing some this year but many of them
are bad and falling green. I think it is because of our lack of rainfall. Those
big acorn crops are hard to deal with.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:46 PM

Theyre driving me nuts too, My entire 250 acres is almost all white oak, except for my plots which arent being touched much, and al the neighboring property is covered with white oaks too, It is almost impossible to pinpoint anything at all. The deer are just bedding wherever they feel like lying down, and getting up to eat whenever the urge hits them, water isnt helping me out much either since I have a spring fed creek through the middle of the property, along with small sinkholes everywhere which hold some water too, Im about to go nuts, its like playing the lottery, just guess and hope your right. Good luck to ya.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey NC....I'm with ya! (w/ the acorns AND in NC)

We hunt 2 50 acre plats.....and they're COVERED with fresh acorns. We see plenty of spots where the deer are rooting through the leaves to feed on them....but it makes setting up a BI&%$!

Good luck to ya. We're gonna sit tight 'til the weekend....and try and roll the dice, correctly, for once this season. We're actually gonna just play a whim and set up on the edge of a field....and see if we can catch 'em passing by.

Good luck....and I'm a HUGE squirrel fan, right now! Get ALL them acorns up.......'cept for the ones under THAT ONE tree, there...lol.

Jeff
Old 10-20-2005, 07:47 AM

Having too many acorns is a good and bad thing. Good in the way that the deer are present, but bad in the way that they are hard to set up on. Our acorn crop is about 1/3 of what it was last year and now my deer are scattered to the four winds in search of food. I think it may be time to spread a little of that yellow gold.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

One way to avoid this problem is to fertilize certain oak trees. Even in an abundant crop year the deer will prefer the acorns from the tree that has been highly fertilized as the acorns will have more nutrients in them. Sounds goofy but it's true.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Where I am here in SE Pa. we had almost no acorns last year but this year is a banner year for all mast. Acorns every where. I agree about them not having to move much to eat. I think thats why I see one here two there ect. Not the usual bigger groups.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:16 PM

I agree, the acorns have been very successfull where I am from, I also have not had a shooter deer within my 30 yard max. I saw two small bucks a couple weeks ago but they were to small, all my shooter deer have been out at 80 yards, try maybe relocating, just don't tempt yourself into making a shot you don't think you can make, no one wants to would a deer, good luck
Old 10-20-2005, 10:25 PM

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Perhaps your stand should be somewhere between their beds and those oaks ?

I know what you mean , the patch of woods I live in is covered with oaks , when you walk across the back yard you might as well be dancing on bubble wrap .
There's acorns in every direction from their beds. How do you know which direction they're headed?

Quick Reply: OHHH.....all the acorns!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.