Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Doe in estrus this early? >

Doe in estrus this early?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Doe in estrus this early?

Old 10-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Doe in estrus this early?

I was driving around tonight and saw a 2 1/2 year old 8 point checking doe's already. I was kind of surprized. So that got me wondering would it be wrong to try doe in estrus this early?
Old 10-18-2005, 09:08 PM

Default RE: Doe in estrus this early?

I was wondering the same thing over here in Indiana, haven't seen too many signs of the rut in the woods I hunt, just a couple of scrapes and rubs, nothing like when it kicks into high gear.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

From what I've read it's notuncommon for somedoes to come into estrus earlier than others.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:36 AM
Typical Buck

Some of the stuff that I have read on the rut from guys like Alsheimer and Gene Wensel, some older does will come into a "false heat" sometime in October. And being that some believe the full moon in November helps trigger the real heat cycle of does in november, it makes sense to me that this early heat cycle may happen during the October full moon cycle. This is why we sometimes see the younger bucks harrassing the does this time of year and making scrapes all over the place that don't matter. From what I've read and witnessed in the woods, the big boys don't really care what's going on right now, since the hot ladies will come to them when it's time.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I seriously believe that the younger buck's make scrape's not knowing what they're actually doing .They see larger buck's doing these thing's and they just copy their action's not understanding what it's all about .

nubo
Old 10-19-2005, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

You know what they say "Curiosity Killed The Cat" try it see what happens, Im going to try a little bit tonight. Dont use too much, this time of the year especially since lastnight when I saw 7 bucks before 6:00pm trotting for scapes and chasing does. I dont use any estrus untill i see this activity, then I place 1 or 2 scent wicks out wiht just a tad of estrus. It has proven efective this time of the year for me in Central WI.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

I'm in northern Minnesota, and watched a 9 pt mount a doe last night near my stand. I've witnessed a number of bucks sparring the past week, and chasing a few does. I used some estrus scent last night, and had several smaller bucks come like soap on a rope follwing the scent trail.....So things are definately heating up around here. Taz
Old 10-19-2005, 08:48 AM

Things are definitly picking up, at least in central wisconsin. Last night i watched 2 bucks fight for about 5 minutes, then i grunted them both in to under 10 yards. Also, a few nights ago i put out some estrus and another buck came in quick.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:07 AM

This is an unusual time of year where a few does will come into estrous early triggering a mini rut. I've witnessed it on occasion, but also have read alot about it. Most people don't know about it because unless you are in the right spot and out there everyday it is almost unnoticable. It doesn't last long either, maybe a few days. Most people that see this in their life figure it must be some freak coincidince, but it is very real. I think tazimna's encounter is proof enough. There is no way a doe will let a buck mount her unless shes ready.

Good luck with the estrous scent!
Old 10-19-2005, 09:13 AM

I have seen some younger bucks in pre-rut activity

Quick Reply: Doe in estrus this early?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.