Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A Scent Control post for the masses >

A Scent Control post for the masses

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A Scent Control post for the masses

Old 10-17-2005, 09:20 AM

Default A Scent Control post for the masses

Fact 1: Myfather hashunted his entire adult life, taught me to hunt, and now helps me teach my son to hunt. He's never used a scent neutralizer, never showered in scent free soap nor washedclothes in baking soda and he's killed more bucks than I may ever see in my lifetime....including a 150+ 8 pt3 seasons back and quite a few other trophies for our area. Disclaimer: he's not afraid to use a little tinks doe urine on occasion

Fact2: Friend of mine manages a 5000+ acre club and watches deer in food plots while burning stoags. Carbon clad member hunters spook deer in the same field.

You can read any scientific study on neutralizing odor causing molecules, but the fact remains, you cannot directly challenge the nose of a whitetail, only make effort to evade.Ask seasoned hunters from before carbon spray and suit days...."done the work" (tred barta quote). Downwind iskey, but even that isn't fullproof.

Personally, I shower in the green soap, wash clothes etc cause that's part of the fun. and I do this in spite ofopinion above.If you want the secret to whitetail success, here goes:sit for many, manyhours in a scouted, strategic location, thusexponentially increasing chances of seeinga mature deer when they make The mistake.

Fact3: Had a spike cross my entry trail this weekend, picked up my scent sprayed boots - same weekend same stand, on the way outImade a bathroom stopand before I had my pants zipped, had twin 4ptrs walk out 15yds downwind and never spooked
Old 10-17-2005, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: A Scent Control post for the masses

ahh, the fog has lifted! I am saved! now I can kill all the deer I want!
Old 10-17-2005, 10:17 AM

My theory? Chance favors the prepared mind. I do the things I can to control my scent, but play the wind like I reek of gym socks. Every little bit helps but never think that lady luck can't either make or ruin your day. Some things happen the way they do against all odds.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ummm, whats the point again?

Carbon clad hunting clthes are useless, you pee'd and the bucks came running at you, and dont put scent spray on your boots??
Old 10-17-2005, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know what the right answer is. I use the scent free soaps, deodarant, sprays, X static socks and underwear, but stop short of using the Scent Lok or other carbon suits. I have deer come right up to me, just under my stand without spooking. With that said, I almost got run over by two deer scouting for spring turkey season, no scent control measure and chewing a wad of Redman. I had to say something to keep them from coming right over me!
Old 10-17-2005, 11:16 AM

Soooo...what you are saying is that deer are unpredictable critters that are incredibly aware of their surroundings and are incredibly adept at evading danger? Is that about the size of it?
Old 10-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow, I have no idea what this means to me, but I hope you have a great hunting season.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just think if ole gramps would have practiced scent elemination he might have some 170 class bucks.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh Zen master I see clearly now.. I can't wait till your 36th post..only then will my pursuit be complete

thanks....your loyal grasshopper
Old 10-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Soooo...what you are saying is that deer are unpredictable critters that are incredibly aware of their surroundings and are incredibly adept at evading danger? Is that about the size of it?
Sometimes they are just like us; not paying attention with their head up their arses.

Quick Reply: A Scent Control post for the masses

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.