Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A Scent Control post for the masses >

A Scent Control post for the masses

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A Scent Control post for the masses

Old 10-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: A Scent Control post for the masses

ORIGINAL: treblig

Fact3: Had a spike cross my entry trail this weekend, picked up my scent sprayed boots - same weekend same stand, on the way outImade a bathroom stopand before I had my pants zipped, had twin 4ptrs walk out 15yds downwind and never spooked

Fooling the noses of young deer is easy. Just because they don't snort and run away doesn't mean they don't smell you. They just don't know what they are smelling yet. Let us know what happens when anything around 2 1/2 years old and up with a rack on it's head walks up while you have your pe**er in your hand. Chances are you won't have time to shake it.... Oh yea, gun season doesn't count.
And just because you don't hear a deer snort, doesn't mean they haven't winded you. How many times have you seen/heard a big buck stand in one position and snort for 10 minutes after he's busted somebody? I bet it's close to none. Mature deer don't make mistakes, they live by instinct, not the ability to reason, they only lose because we are the smarter race with weapons and treestands and the ability to reason.

Mike
Old 10-18-2005, 11:49 AM

As I said the last time I posted on this topic...and my word is SACRED... absolute divinely inspired fact .... okay, so it's just a lil' 'ol opinion of a 3rd year amateur, but so be it...

... People killed deer, bears, moose, elk, you name it, it was killed by a stick... and oh wait... another stick. I doubt they used ScentLok back in the settlers days, but their only survival was hunting.

Modern technology obviously advances us into the future with benefits and ploys combined. It isn't about the technicalities, it is about the time, effort, knowledge, and common sense that you employ. If it makes you a better, more comfortable hunter to garb yourself out in ScentLok or any other man made material, go for it. I don't really have a preference, I have a scentlok suit and I wear it, only because it was a gift from my hubby and it's really the only camo I own, but I'd be happy to sit in a stand with brown jeans and a green shirt! I honestly feel I'd see just as many deer, granted I wasn't sitting downwind of them. Man are natural predators, therefore we are built with the capability of using common sense for survival... if it makes sense to you and makes you more confident in your abilities, wear it, if it doesn't, then don't spend the money on it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and each and every one of us does SOMETHING different as a hunter to distinguish us from the next guy/gal, if it works for you, it may not work for me and so on and so forth, yadda yadda yadda, who really cares anyway? The only fact of hunting is you can't shoot something from the house, so whether you are decked out in full scentlok or wearing brush pants with a t-shirt, do what works... FOR YOU... and stop worrying about what the guy nextdoor is wearing in his stand.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I doubt they used ScentLok back in the settlers days, but their only survival was hunting.
Native americans used a couple forms of scent control. The biggest form of scent control they used was covering themselves from head to toe with mud. They would also use parts of deer (cape, scent glands , and even antlers) to get closer to deer.

So , the idea of eliminating/containing or masking your scent isn't exactly a new idea.

Old 10-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Fooling the noses of young deer is easy
Amen Brother, I was hunting with my bow deer gun season and my uncle's did not know I was in my stand. 5 deer ran out hard, and 1(big mature buck) dropped down and crawled to the river right past my uncles. I learned a great lesson, mature deer(doe or buck) are a different then 1 1/2 olds. They are cautions and I can bet there are many times they detect me before I even see them!!!
Old 10-18-2005, 03:09 PM

I'm of the opinion that scent can be an issue. Not always. I will not, however, spend half a paycheck on fancy duds, fancy soap, a little two ounce bottle of who-knows-what, etc.

Wash the clothes in baking soda and nothing else, and let 'em hang out. When I'm in the field, I grab a handful of wet leaves and scrub my stand and gear. If I'm prepping an area, I'm constantly scrubbing wet ground cover on my gloves, then I touch as little as possible. The stuff I do touch, like dead twigs I'm breaking off, get tossed away from the scrape, rub, or whatever sign is in my target area.

When I gut a deer, I have two 35mm (watertight) film cannisters, and if there's anything in the bladder, it goes in my cannisters. Next time I'm in the field, it's in a squirt bottle, 50/50 with water. Last year I took a button buck, his bladder was so full it wouldn't fit in my cannisters. I tied off the urethra and took the whole bladder home, and drained it into a clean yogurt container. The freezer has kept it for me.

Some of the urine I used last year was dried up. I added a bit of water to it to reconstitute it. My first day in a tree, I dribbled it around the tree after I was up. A mature doe came from downwind, walked right under my tree and into a briar patch to feed. She's in my freezer right now.

If I don't have the urine, I stew some acorns and leaves on the stove and take that to the field in a squirt bottle.

The scent game is a money-making racket. They convince you that you have to have it, and you pay the big bucks for it. Horse hockey...
Old 10-18-2005, 03:49 PM

OK....I'm gonna go against popular conscensous here and say that scent elimination products ( not all, but a chosen few ) have made an enormous difference in the way I hunt and what I see when I am out there. First off let me say that I am not affiliated with any company in this industry. I am in the remodeling industry which is totally unrelated. I can't begin to tell you how many times I used to wash my clothes in all the products, use all the cover scents, etc and get busted cold! I bought my first scent lok suit before last season and since then I have seen deer on almost every hunt I have been on, taken a 160 class B&C and a 140 P&Y, also include a 6pointer with 18" inch spread on the SAME day in the SAME stand as the 160 class. Last week I had a HERD of does directly downwind of me on a hillside and I was in the bottom. They walked right to me and kept on going. Since buying the suit, I also bought the socks, gloves, hat, and Xscent socks, and rubber boots. I only use pete rickard's fresh earth cover, red fox p on the boots, HS Scents Carbon Safe Wash, Scent Killer spray ( in the yellow bottle, not the fall blend crap), and Scent Killer deodorant. Now I could just be lucky, but I would be willing to bet that in the in my 10th year of hunting now, with my last being the most productive, the only variable that could have changed this was the scent lok products. AGAIN......I am NOT promoting scent lok.....I am sure scent blocker would be just as effective if not more. Just my .02

Scent Lok