Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pre-Shot Routine >

Pre-Shot Routine

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pre-Shot Routine

Old 10-16-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Pre-Shot Routine

I have been gun hunting deer for 4 years, and have had no problem harvesting deer. However, this past year I started bowhunting, and just a few days ago missed a nice six point buck [X(]. I believe the problem is with my pre-shot routine. Any ideas to ensure an unnessecary miss doesn't happen again?
Old 10-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pre-Shot Routine

Make sure u do everything the exact same everytime. anchor the same place every time, don't torque your bow and just relax. Imagine the deer is just a regular 3d target you shoot in your backyard all summer long. Also a rangefinder is a big help. And hopefully you shot your broadheads before you went hunting, because they can fly alot diff than ur field points. Best of luck, im sure u'll get another chance.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

I actually start preseason with my 3d target. I pretend it is a real deer walking through the woods. different scenarios. jumpy deer, skitsie deer, calm deer, you name it. I am low if I believe it will jump the string, etc. you get the point. one thing I have found in the past is the fact that I get sooooo wrapped up in the moment watching the deer, I forget to plan ahead, like, if this deer goes left, what shot do I have? do I have a shot? so, after almost letting a nice 8 slip by me a number of years ago, I plan my shot well ahead of time. I pick my lanes for each side of the tree. I'll come to full draw and pretend a deer is walking through and put the appropriate pin on it. hope this helps.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

For me once I get in that mode where I'm going to shoot, things just happen. I don't think about it. I don;t think that works for everyone though. I like to practice the way I hunt so that when I draw on a deer, it all just happens like 2nd nature. MANY guys though put a sticker, or some thing they remember when they draw that helps them focus. Anchor, aim, release, whatever it may be, you just have to develope what works for you.