Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Practice Routine... >

Practice Routine...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Practice Routine...

Old 08-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default Practice Routine...

Do you use a specific routine while practicing with your bow, or do you just go out and shoot until you get tired...??

For the most part I just go out and shoot 4 arrows at time, until I get tired.. Is there a better way to practice...??
Old 08-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Practice Routine...

You need and exact routine every shot you make. Dont make it long and exaggerated. Something quick that will let you shoot the same way every time. That is how you will get consistant and very accurate. You need to make it quick so that when a deer comes in it is like clock work when you draw it back. Hope that helps.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

A shot sequence routine, or an entire practice routine? Shot sequence routine needs to always be the same like motown said. But for an overall practice change things up, shoot from different distances, shoot 1 arrow at a time, shoot 4 at a time. Shoot from different hunting positions. Shoot at different types of targets too. Shooting at a dot is fine, but deer don't have dots. shoot at 3d's or just solid colored faces.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot 3 at a time. I start at 60 hen move down to 50, 40, 30, 20, 10. I like starting at the longer distences, because by the time I get to my hunting range 20-30 they seem like chip shots.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

id agree with rybo, the more you practice the easier it is when the moment of truth comes. I usually shoot every night if i can. I shoot 3 arrows with field tips and then 3 with broadheads. when I get tired I take a break, but I try not to get that way. I just shoot reps of 3. Those black bear Im getting ready to go hunt are in for something so are the whitetails. practice, practice, practice, and remember follow thru...
Old 08-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah I will have to add a few things to my practice, and try some different angles and things...

I am ready for the season though... Can't get here quick enough...
Old 08-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot 6 arrows at 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and then start my way back down to 20 again. Saturday I went out to 80 yards just for some fun and good practice. It makes the 30-40 yard shots easier.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:30 AM

I shoot alot when close to season I start to hold full draw as long as I can just incase you cant get that clear shoot and all the above
Old 08-22-2006, 10:13 AM

Typically, during this time of year, inside of 2 months until the opener here in Michigan. I shot 2 dozen shots. The only ones that matters to meare the very first arrow (my thinking is, its probably the only one that is going to matter in the field, so I usually shoot the first one cold, no warmup or stretching, trying to duplicate field conditions) and the very last arrow (try to end on a positive note. If I hit the bull @ 20 yds, I'll move back to 30 yds for the remaining arrows save for 1 that I'll shoot back at 20 yds, I shoot at 30 yds just to sharpen my focus on my target, and to work on strength training, it is interesting to consider the muscles required to get you to draw as opposed to the muscles required to hold you on target, I'll practice different hold times, to help develop muscle control and strength. If I miss at 20 yds, I stay there until Ibull one then I move backto 30 for the remaining arrows. Shooting at 30 then 20, what a difference.

My son and I play a shooting game with cards, all the aces and 2thru 10 of one suit (I leave the cards in my case, so we play whenever we feel like it) shooter draws then non shooter draws a card (don't tell what it is), number cards signify how long in seconds the shooter holds before the card holder announces "you are open to go" we try to keep the release within a couple of seconds of being told, an ace however signifies no shot and you must let down (wait until the shooter is at draw a focused on the target, then tell them they must let down). We play this game usually a couple of times a weekfrom about 2 weeks to the opener. It is hard getting all set up andready to shoot and then being to to let down. But it keeps you disciplined and focused on your shot. When you draw and ace I usually look at the next card to determine how long to make my son hold before telling him to let down. We "shoot" 3 arrowsat a time 5-10 rounds count up the score best man wins (shoot means let downs don't count, it really sucks if you get 2 or 3 let downs in a row) then have to shoot 3 money shots. Reshuffle the cards for each shooter (to make it more interesting you could remove a couple of number cards from the deck)

Trythis gameout with you kids or shootin' buddies and tell me what you think.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's not the quantity of arrows that you shoot, it's the quality of how you shoot.

There are days when I shoot dozens of shots however I treat each and every shot as if it were the only one. Other days I go out and shoot 4 arrows, perhaps, it's one arrow in a days time. It's about making quality shots with proper form, breathing, concentration and body mechanics.

If your shooting for quantity to strengthen muscles then you should not aim at a specific target rather you should be concentrating on form and execution without concern of where the arrow is hitting other than hitting a back stop/target...not dot, understand.

Quick Reply: Practice Routine...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.