Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whats Next Locusts? >

Whats Next Locusts?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats Next Locusts?

Old 10-16-2005, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Whats Next Locusts?

After about 6 or 7 straight days of steady hard rain,our NYS bow opener took place yesterday(southern tier)I hunted in the rain and wind gusts yesterday.When I hunted in the afternoon,just as I got to my stand I put two bucks on their feet who were bedded pretty much right under my stand tree.I froze but they weren't buying it,I hate blowing deer out of my stand area's!The rest of the afternoon I hung on for dear life,and cinched my safety strap as tight to the tree as I could get it.My biggest fear was the tree getting blown over,I was trying to figure out how I could ride the top side of the tree down.Around 5:30 a doe comes in and is milling around,every once in a while a wind gust would have her nose in the air sniffing,I had showered before going out,I had xscent long under wear on and I had a scent lok liner over it.She started to get really anxious,she started to circle,the wind was blowing and gusting in every direction.Right about this time 45 yards or so in front of me I see legs of another deer,big bodied,rack,wider than his ears,he is watching the doe's every move.Another wind gust she nervously flits away,he goes with her.
Today clear but 35 to 40 mph gusts.I didn't see a deer in the morning,more cracking limbs and falling dead tree's,decided it would be a good afternoon to spend with family.
You wait all year for the season to open and then having to deal with rotten weather,it kind of bums you out!
Old 10-16-2005, 07:21 PM

Default RE: Whats Next Locusts?

Yeah that stinks but think of all the other days you can hunt.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know exactly how you feel. I tried the swinging tree thinga few years back. Sea sickness was all but set in a few times in few times in the tree. Once a big limb from a tree came down 30 yards from me, it quickly convinced me its time to get out of the woods.

You're best not to hunt when its that windy. The woods arent real safe and usually, the deer aren't moving anyhow. They don't feel safe moving much in it and we don't feel safe dodging limbs. Good day to stay home and watch football.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

We had steady rain for 10 days, finally ended last night. Today, we had gusts over 40 mph with steady 23-35. I was hurtin to get out today, but went to the range instead. I think it was a good call. I have no desire to be rockin in the tree tops or getting smacked with falling branches.