Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How long would you wait ? >

How long would you wait ?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long would you wait ?

Old 10-17-2005, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How long would you wait ?

I like to wait around a week for various reasons. I HAVE been in stands the day after setting them, and even though the wind was in my favor, the deer still seemed to be on edge when getting close to my new location. I don't know why because I'm always keeping scent control in mind even when putting up stands.
I might wait a week and sometimes even more to be in some stand locations, and I may only sit them once in a season waiting for just the conditions I'm looking for as far as wind, weather, and rut phase. It's up to each hunter how they want to approach their hunting situation as every situation is different enough to bring in variables. The question that johnch asked was how long we would wait before going back into the area, and as you can see almost everybody has different opinions on what he should do based on what THEY would do; so whatever johnch decides to do is up to him.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am willing to bet that 90% of deer have smelled a human at least once in there life, is that going to change the way they live? I doubt it very much. It may scare the bejesus out of them at that precise moment but they are going to forget about it almost as fast. Unless of course they have a close encounter of the human kind then they may not be so apt to forget about it. Smells are smells. I know that when I am walking thru a timber and come across the odor of a skunk that is is a skunk. But give me a half hour and I couldn't take you back to the exact location that I smelled it. Deer are animals and they do have keen senses, but they are animals. I wouldn't think just because they smelled you somewhere once that they are going to know that there is something unsafe about a certain place. Now if you shoot at a deer and miss that is a different story than just setting a few stands. But again that is just my opinion.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I just found out today that work will make me wait till Thur evening till I can hunt .

I Know the deer are used to people and farm equipment
And the corn will be cut this week so all the deer will move into the woods and CPR feilds to bed .

I just wondered what you guys thought

Johnch
Old 10-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just last week I set up a new stand site and did some minimal triming and hunted it the next day and had deer as close as 15 yrds from me. This area also has its share of human activity!