Went out for opening day this morning........all excited and couldn't wait to get up a tree. Had scouted this area for 2 months and was VERY optimistic about my chances. Got setup with little trouble and settled in to wait for the..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I waited all year for this??? >

I waited all year for this???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I waited all year for this???

Old 10-15-2005, 12:27 PM

Default I waited all year for this???

Went out for opening day this morning........all excited and couldn't wait to get up a tree. Had scouted this area for 2 months and was VERY optimistic about my chances. Got setup with little trouble and settled in to wait for the woods to light up.

Not long after light peaked in I heard it...........the sound that goes right to my spine and instantly ruins my day.

The bell on the collar of a bird dog..........then it gets better. I would say over the next hour I heard 75 shots and some were so close I could hear the shot raining down through the leaves nearby. Since I know I have NO chance of even seeing a deer I plan to leave early........then I hear the thunder rolling in.......FAST. I don't want to but I start climbing down at 8:40.........I should have started sooner. By the time I reach the bottom of the tree it is a full monsoon........I get back to the truck and I am soaked and more then a little disappointed

I don't know what it is about opening day in NY for me......last year it rained so hard I could barely see [:@]

Gotta love public land...........2 months of scouting down the drain. Pretty hard to predict a deer's pattern in that situation.

Going back out in about an hour and the sun is shining right now.........and I am going somewhere else.

Not exactly the stuff of dreams
Old 10-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I waited all year for this???

Hang in there man, let us know how this evening goes
Old 10-15-2005, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry about the rough start man. When you nail that big one you may
look back and laugh about it. Keep after it.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Hang in there, atlas. I've only been out once this year. Opening morning. Got busted before daylight and never heard a sound the rest of the day. Then my mother-in-law, who was sick with cancer but doing fair, took a turn for the worse and died within a week. So I haven't been much for hunting til now. Then I got a hair brained idea to go buy a new bow. I had my old one shooting darts. Bought a new one, stripped off the gear and put on the new one and now I've got to start all over again. [8D] Oh well. I'll get motivated here real quick. I was laughing reading your post but at the same time almost wished I had been in your shoes. Almost.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry to hear about your MIL slinger, thats how I lost my mom. I hope b/c Atlas hasn't posted yet is b/c he's giving a deer a ride in his truck
Old 10-15-2005, 07:58 PM

ORIGINAL: atlasman
Gotta love public land...........2 months of scouting down the drain.
I feel your pain brother! All I have available to me is nearby public land as well. All week long I long for the weekend. All I hear on the weekend is BOOOM, BOOOM, BOOOM, BOOOM... I mean, why the heck does anyone have to shoot a bird that many times to kill it? Oh and don't get me started on the early morning joggers and their barking dogs! And can't forget the weekend warrior hikers.Then the squirrel hunters. I'm sure I missed something.