Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Does size matter? >

Does size matter?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does size matter?

Old 10-04-2002, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default Does size matter?

I was wondering if the size of rattling antlers matters. Is a basket six point set I have enough to make a mature buck curious, or do I need to find a heavier, bigger rack? Are the synthetic ones worth it looking into?
Thanks.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Does size matter?

On days when it's a little windy or rainy or noisy for whatever reason, those smaller antlers just don't seem to make enough noise IMO. It takes much less energy and movement to tickle larger antlers than it does with the smaller ones. I used to have a pair of smaller rattlin' horns but am much happier with the 10 point sheds I'm using now and I'm rattling in just as many deer with no change in sex or age. Good luck!
Old 10-04-2002, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

On days when it's a little windy or rainy or noisy for whatever reason, those smaller antlers just don't seem to make enough noise IMO. It takes much less energy and movement to tickle larger antlers than it does with the smaller ones. I used to have a pair of smaller rattlin' horns but am much happier with the 10 point sheds I'm using now and I'm rattling in just as many deer with no change in sex or age. Good luck!
Old 10-04-2002, 11:09 AM

haha that sounds like a personal question

Buck or doe big or small they all taste the same and are a trophy in my book.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:42 AM

i think it somewhat depends on what type of deer you are after. i wouldn't think that a 100 class buck would come chargin' in to the sound of 2 130 class bucks going at it, whereas a 120 buck may be a little more intrigued at the sound of a pair of 100's bumpin antlers.

kind of like bass fishing, a 1 pound bass is less likely to hit a 7 inch topwater bait, but a smaller bait is food for any size fish. just my thoughts.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you are just trying to make sparring sounds, a small set can be good. I'm a firm beleiver in using a large set, you can always rattle quitely, but It seems that its difficult to make TOO MUCH noise when trying to actully reproduce the sounds of a serious buck fight.

Even when rattling quitely, or tickling the antlers together, I think a larger set makes a sound more attractive to all bucks, large or small.

Old 10-04-2002, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I rattle quite a bit during the rut and have for years with success. If you want to constantly rattle in bucks, I have noticed that a smaller set of horns work better. They don't sound as intimidating as the larger ones do. Gasser is right, if you were a small 6 or even a decent eight, would you want to come dashing in to two 150's duking it out? I sure as heck wouldn't.

Funny story. When I was younger and starting my bowhunting ventures, I picked up a set of fresh 4 point antlers from last years deer at camp. Next archery season, there I was, putting on the fight of a lifetime with those "sticks". I couldn't hear anything for me crashing those little suckers together, but little did I know, I had an audience behind me. When I stopped, I heard motion right behind me. I slowly turned to see a huge 9 point staring a hole right through me at 30 yards! Well, I was as surprised as he was when he found out I wasn't two young punks trying to steal a little of his turf. He took off as fast as I could watch him and never seen him again till gun season. He is now on my wall.

Anyway, just an example of what I've noticed.

Something you might want to try is a rattle bag. They are very realistic and arent as bulky as real antlers. I use them now and they work like a charm.