Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The worst thing about hunting is... >

The worst thing about hunting is...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The worst thing about hunting is...

Old 10-13-2005, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: The worst thing about hunting is...

Wind is for sure on the list of the "not so good" things. lol
Old 10-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wounding one.....thats the worst thing ever.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:40 AM

Ya...I agree with you guys about the last day or especially the hollow/rotten feeling of wounding one but here I sit on the computer while I should be up in a tree now! I am not about to get busted AGAIN for wanting so badly to be out there. I admit we need the rain in the north east but.....its been over a week of this. Oh well @ least Pheasant opens tomorrow....will be guiding guys in the morning with my two boys....GSP's.

I'm envious of you lucky bastards who are out hunting right now in more favorable conditions!

Henny
Old 10-14-2005, 06:10 AM

Scent Killer and ScentLok are your friends on those windy days. No, they aren't flawless, but they do help an aweful lot. Deer, I have found, don't move as much on windy days, but you can't get one on the couch. Take the precautions you can, and eventually it'll work.
The heat is my least favorite. It's gonna be near 80 this weekend, and with the deer in their winter coats, they just aren't gonna be moving. But, early morning and late evening may still work, so I'll be out there. Besides the deer, heat makes me miserable. Nothing like sitting on stand with sweat dripping off your forhead. [:@]
Old 10-14-2005, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The wind doesn't bother me at all. A few years back I killed 3 bucks in one season. All 3 of the bucks were killed on days were the wind blew at least 15 mph with gusts of 25-30 mph. I don't even live in a part of the country where we get a lot of wind it just happened that way. So now I hunt anytime the wind is blowing. I had some stuff going on earlier this week and I had just about decided to not hunt that afternoon. But I was doing some stuff outside and noticed the wind was blowing a good bit harder than it had been any other day that I had hunted this year. So I thought "I got to go with the wind blowing like this". So I got my stuff on and headed out. Well I wound up with my first doe for the year and the only shot that I have had for the year and one of the few deer that I have seen this year. For me the wind is my friend
Old 10-14-2005, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

When the wind is whipping and swirling... Forget the deer. That's the perfect time to hunt rabbits and quail. And who knows, you might just catch a deer off guard at the same time. The only bad time for me to hunt is during a day long, non stop, frog strangling monsoon.[&:]
Old 10-14-2005, 07:50 AM

Yes the wind sucks. Its a fact that deer move proportionally to wind velocity. Like someone else said, just hunt something else on those windy days or stalking could be another idea provided you play that wind right.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:50 AM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Scent Killer and ScentLok are your friends on those windy days. No, they aren't flawless, but they do help an aweful lot. Deer, I have found, don't move as much on windy days, but you can't get one on the couch. Take the precautions you can, and eventually it'll work.
x2. Well put!
Old 10-14-2005, 08:08 AM

The worst thing about hunting is when there is no open season to hunt anything!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2005, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: hennyhog

the wind. I have been hunting for over a dozen years now & cannot recall seeing deer on a stand while the wind is wipping & swirling. I do not mind the cold, rain, or snow but a swirling wind sucks. The only luck Ive had is jumping them while still hunting with a gun.

Knowing it was very windy this afternnon & dying to get out in the woods after working my 5 day stint, I decided to go to my 3rd best spot (because of wind). Well @ 5:45 I heard the one sound that we all hate...the unmistakeable blow! He/she said...dude..I know your there & I see you later. Now I knew this was a potential problem but just couldn't sit home. What do you guys do??? My guess stay in??

Henny
Wind sucks but after all these years, I still can't bring myself to stay home. Most of the time I'll use the windy days to walk, stalk, and scout to see what is going on in the woods around me which can be very productive for future hunts but often isn't productive for the day.

Quick Reply: The worst thing about hunting is...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.