Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

watch out

Old 10-13-2005, 11:23 AM

Default watch out

I went out last saturday and sat in my ground blind . once it got light enough to see i looked down and all i saw was a snake . i mean a monster timber rattler coiled up not two feet from my leg. he was so well hidden that i didnt notice him with my flashlifgt. i alowly stood up and let him have the stand. so double check your stands if they are on the ground.this snake was as big around as my wrist and i am a big guy.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: watch out

I would've had me some chicken fried rattlesnake for lunch and a nice skin to use for decoration on my next selfbow.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yikes..Lucky you, I'd have smoked him!
Old 10-13-2005, 12:00 PM

timber rattlers are a protected species in texas and it would be very dumb for me to post about killing a protected animal.so i just convinced him to leave and i dont think he will be back we had a ling talk. lol
Old 10-13-2005, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

timber rattlers are a protected species in texas
Yikes! I didn't know that. We've only got diamondbacks around here. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:29 PM

I would have had to change my pants and probaly buy a new blind becauseI would have been getting out of it as quick asI could. But in Georgia that snake would have been dead after I regained my senses asnd my heart beat slowed down.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:31 PM

i asked a local warden once what would he do if while stepping over a log he found himself about to be on the buisiness end of a dangerous pit vipers fangs. he said , and i quote"he is gonna be a real endangered species now aint he".
Old 10-13-2005, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Snakes are one thing I'm afraid of. Not the garden snake or even big black snakes. It's those big rattlers or cottonmouths that give me the creeps!
Old 10-13-2005, 12:54 PM

rattlers are by far the most dangerous . you see a rattle snake has what is known as necrotic venom and it basicly digests the flesh it touches. also when most snakes strike they only deliver enough venom to kill a rat or a frog. when a rattler envenomates somthing he delivers every ounce of venom all at once.so a large rattler could deliver as much as an ounce of venom all at one time. and that means you could lose the affected limb. or if bitten near a major artory painful death as your heart is digested into liquid................nice huh . cottonmouths are not that bad they just look and act bad. i have been bitten 3 times by cottonmouths and never spent any time in the hospital nor lost any apendages. a corralsnake is the most venomous snake in north america . they are a rear fanged snake and thier fangs are tiny so they almost have to chew on a large animal to get any venom in them. a copperhead is very quick to strike but delivers a dry bite in most defensive situations and when venom is present it is a minute amount. so dont be scared of snakes . treat them like a loaded gun and respect that they can hurt you if you are not careful.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:57 PM

thanks for the reminder Gonz...but illegal or not...like Arthur P said...lunch and decoration...only after i too would have changed my pants...but none the less...glad you made it out okay so you could give us all the heads up...

Quick Reply: watch out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.