Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunters doing free advertising >

Hunters doing free advertising

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunters doing free advertising

Old 10-13-2005, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Hunters doing free advertising

Something just hit me - Hunter do more free advertising than any other group, IMO.

When I go to skiing/mountain biking forums, I don't see people posting about what bike they ride, or skis/poles they use. We don't put Trek stickers on our cars.

Baseball players don't wear Easton or Nike shirts when they're not playing baseball.

Kayakers ... heck, I don't even know who makes Kayaks.

Photographers don't run around spouting off about how great their Nikon lenses are, or bashing Kodak products.

Golfers might wear a Taylor Made hat, but they don't have R7 decals on their windows. They're also not a member of "Team Big Bertha."

IMO, hunting is like golf, if you're a great hunter, or a fantastic golfer, you're probably going to do well, no matter what brand of products you're using. Tiger Woods could be a scratch golfer with rental clubs and range balls. Team Realtree would get deer if they were wearing BDU's, and using Bear Whitetail II bows. Why, then, do we put so much emphasis on brands/products? You're NOT on Realtree's "TEAM," you're paying them to advertise their products!!

Amusing food for thought.

Thoughts/Comments???
Old 10-13-2005, 09:04 AM

Default RE: Hunters doing free advertising

IMHO being a successful hunter has little to do with the equipment you use. If you can get a 20yd shot with a bow/muzzleloader/gun equipment is not going to matter.

Hunting is more about knowledge, trial and error and LUCK.

Hunting is more about getting into the position to take a 20yd shot rather than actually taking the 20yd shot.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Team Realtree would get deer if they were wearing BDU's, and using Bear Whitetail II bows
True, but if they hunted public land or high pressured area's they would not be so lucky. My mother-in-law has a guy who raises deer, and he sells them to game farms for "Hunters" to hunt. I feed them out of my hands?
I am 100% with you on the advertising statement. I either were my Bowtech, Mathews or Titleist hat.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe that any of us could be a TV hunter. Most are not out there hunting the wild. They go to outfitters. I have been on a free range hunt on a Texas Ranch. Climb up in a box blind and wait for a big deer. I loved it don't get me wrong. The only thing I was missing was a TV camera. 4 of us went hunting..with all differring levels of ability and all took trophy deer. I could do that week in and week out, given the financial backing!

As for advertising, I dunno, I wear a lot of golf logos.. and yes I have a Titliest sticker on my truck, right along with my local bow shops sticker. I guess I spend my money on products I'm proud to own, when you pull up next to another truck with say a Bowtech sticker you wave and he/she waves back and you 2, become part of something greater..a kinship, a team....a friend you never met.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why, then, do we put so much emphasis on brands/products?
The companies pay the 'pros' to do it, and a lot of guyswant to at least look like a pro, so they do it too. Some of 'em even buy a hat and polo shirt with the logos on 'em, thentry to pass themselves offas pros. You run into 'em at every tournament. They're very easy to spot with their 'my stuff don't stink' attitude.

I've had two Hoyt hats. One when I bought my first ProVantage. The second was when the shop I shot forsigned me up asa program shooter for Hoyt. I guarantee you, that 'National Shooting Staff' label under the Hoyt logo didn't improve my shooting one bit.It helped the shop sell a few more Hoyts than before though.Butadvertising was my function, my end of the deal.

As far as bashing different brands, sometimes I get into it just because it's so much fun seeing how mad, mean and nasty the true believers get when some heretic starts inwith aperfectly true and meaningful critique on their favorite stuff. Used to be the Mathews crowd that you could really get stirred up. Now it's the whisker bisquit bunch. I know. I'm a very naughty boy.[8D]

Old 10-13-2005, 10:57 AM

hmmm...

I see Trek stickers on cars...Thule racks, Yakima racks.... I also see folks wearing Patagonia hats...or the Patogonia stickers, along with varies other white water clubs...

Baseball players will wear, Eason, Oakley, etc...especially if they are getting paid to endorse them...on and off the field. Shoot...look at NASCAR, you ever seen Jeff Gordon with a Coke?

Photographers- I've seen photo books where they state this was taken with a yada, yada, with a 5 million zoom lense, with shutter speed of XXX and triple gold film (if they are using film and not digital).

As far as Team Real Tree....my grandma could kill a deer on their stands. To me nothing to hard about showing up at a "hunting camp" (who is getting a free shot of advertising and probably "saves" big deer for such and occasion- so it will attract more clientele), sit on a stand over a field of Biologic and see and harvest good bucks.

As someone else mentioned...I'd like to see them "buck" up and hunt like the rest of the real world.

My .02 rant for the day...

B.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: MDNewbie

Hunting is more about getting into the position to take a 20yd shot rather than actually taking the 20yd shot.
you know....that is the best summarization I have ever seen...that's my reason to hunt.

Sure, I'll take a deer or two a season...and my girls much prefer venison over beef. But to me the challenge of getting a whitetail withing 20 yds...not knowing your there, and to watch them feed, etc. is why I go.

It's alot work once you pull that trigger... lol

B
Old 10-13-2005, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

hunters definately do a bunch of free adverising. i have a mossy oak steering wheel cover on my truck and my favorite and only hat i wear pretty much is a remington one. i could go on and on. we should get paid for it!!!!
Old 10-13-2005, 01:55 PM

Actually I do have a GARY FISHER (bike) and FOX sticker on my truck!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:59 AM
Spike

I came across this thread and thought I would share a great opportunity with you guys. Globalnet Outdoors is a new company that pays you for referring their products to friends and other outdoorsman! Check it out! http://jeremiahmorton.gno.com/

Quick Reply: Hunters doing free advertising

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.